Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help With Weight-Loss?
Lose Weight with Apple Cider Vinegar
You may have already heard about the new diet trend: drinking apple cider vinegar (ACV). Though cider vinegar is only now gaining in popularity, its ability to help people lose weight has been known for a while now.
I’ve been drinking apple cider vinegar myself for over a year and I've been really impressed with the results. But there are definitely some things I wish I had known before starting. So, if you’re interested in trying out apple cider vinegar as weight-loss plan, you might find some of my tips and suggestions below helpful.
Combined with daily exercise, you can lose 10 pounds in 3 months drinking apple cider vinegar every day.
Does it Work?
A study at New York Chiropractic College involving 49 people participating in a 21-day weight-loss program that included a once-daily drink including apple cider vinegar resulted in weight-loss and improved cholesterol.
It is possible to lose 10 pounds in three months, or about three pounds in one month. I would recommend doing a bit of physical exercise three times a day—swimming, dancing, running, treademil—whatever you love doing. Cider vinegar boosts metabolism, and when you add some exercise to the routine, it multiplies the benefits and weight-loss potential. Also, cider vinegar rebalances your body's pH factor, thus improving digestion and strengthening your immune system. All this adds up in your efforts to shed extra pounds.
Reviews of the ACV Diet
Our readers post about their experiences in the comments section below. We encourage you to do the same! Here's what a few have said about losing weight or improved health using apple cider vinegar:
- I'm very pleased with the results of 1 tbls in about 300 mls of water before breakfast and dinner. I've lost 2kgs in 3 weeks. The weight has come straight of my belly. I'm less ravenous and eating more salads. Before the apple cider I was always hungry and it felt like I was fighting my physiology by not eating huge meals. I'd definitely drink it through a straw and rinse with salty water after to buffer the acid to protect your teeth.
- ACV completely ends acid reflux. For years I used to spend $75 per month for Prilosec, but my sister told me about this cheap, healthy use of ACV and haven't had an "episode" for 2 years.
- I make a concentrate: 50/50 ACV and raw honey. It needs serious shaking to blend together. Then I put an inch of the concentrate in the bottom of my glass water bottle and fill with warm water. One bottle a day. I was doing this for my overall health, as weight is not really an issue, but I have lost three pounds in 10 days. I hope this will level off soon, but I do feel great.
- Apple cider vinegar really helps. It's been 4 months using it. I feel great, I lost weight, and no more constipation, sinus, acne. I feel young. I am happy again. Love it.
To keep your teeth healthy, use a straw when drinking ACV then rinse your mouth with water and brush with baking soda.
Mix Apple Cider Vinegar With Honey
You don't need to drink very much apple cider vinegar to get its weight-loss benefits. Just mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup (8 ounces) of water and drink the mixture between one and three times a day, ideally before a meal. I prefer to drink it first thing in the morning after waking up and then an hour before each meal.
You can also double the recipe to make enough for the whole day. To two cups of water (16 ounces), add 4-6 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and two teaspoons of honey.
How Often Should I Take ACV?
If you are just starting out, I’d suggest starting off slow. Add a single teaspoon to a cup of water initially, and drink it only once a day. That way, you can get used to the taste and make sure your stomach can handle the acidity. Gradually increase the dosage to two and then three teaspoons and increase the frequency to twice a day. If you don't like the taste, you can add a bit of honey to it.
Go slow and notice how your body responds. You may begin to feel more energetic in just a day or two. You may even notice that you need to use the restroom more frequently. This is because you are flushing the toxins out of your body.
Drinking the vinegar will also help your digestion and make you feel less bloated. With an improved, more efficient digestive system, your body will be able to break down fat more quickly and absorb nutrients more easily.
How Does it Help You Lose Weight?
While there is quite a bit of research on apple cider vinegar, it’s still not totally clear how it helps you lose weight. The most common explanation is that the acids and enzymes in the vinegar suppress appetite and improve your metabolism. It also makes you retain less water and feel more refreshed.
Recently, a new theory has emerged. Some researchers believe that vinegar somehow slows down the rate at which your blood sugar increases, which in turn reduces production of insulin. There's ample medical evidence to suggest that lower insulin levels encourage weight loss.
How Long Should I Drink ACV?
Remember, apple cider vinegar is a natural product. Research shows that it results in weight loss. But it is gradual. While drinking ACV it's also important to eat healthy foods and exercise regularly. Furthermore, since everyone's body is different, your results will vary.
While no drastic change in diet is required, you will do well to stay away from fried food and anything that contains too much fat and/or carbohydrates.
Speed Up Your Weight Loss
The ACV drink works best when it's part of a healthy diet. So, if you want to lose more weight, there are other things you can do as well.
- More exercise: Try to walk about 20 to 40 minutes a day, five days a week. Doing so will increase your metabolism, which means that the calories you consume will be used up instead of stored as fat.
- More potassium: Start your morning with a banana. It is high in potassium, which reduces stress levels and blood pressure.
- Less sugar: Yes, fruit contains sugar, but if you eat them in moderation, they should pose no problem. Plus they contain lots of fiber, vitamins, and other nutrients.
What Kind Should I Buy?
That's an easy question to answer: Buy the organic kind. It contains the "mother" of vinegar, which is the cloudy sediment that contains all the good enzymes and probiotics that make ACV so healthy.
You can even make apple cider vinegar at home. But I would highly recommend buying ACV from the market if you are just starting out and haven't used apple cider vinegar before. This will help you familiarize yourself with the taste of good apple cider vinegar.
How to Make Apple Cider Vinegar at Home
Here are the steps for making apple cider vinegar at home.
You will need winter or fall apple varieties. You cannot use summer apples as these don't contain enough sugar.
This recipe calls for whole apples, but you can also use scraps, peels, and cores. So if you're going to be making apple pie, save the left-overs to brew your own batch of ACV.
Now, before you get all excited and go out to get apples, remember a few things.
- You need to stir the juice every other day or so. Can you commit to this? If you fail to stir it, your apple cider vinegar will not form because it will not get enough oxygen.
- The ideal temperature for making apple cider vinegar is about 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. A lower or higher temperature will prevent the fermentation process from taking place.
- Avoid metal containers for making and storing the vinegar. Use only glass, plastic, wood, enamel, or stainless steel containers.
- The length of the fermentation depends on the season. It will take less time during summer and a bit longer during the colder months.
- The vinegar is ready when you can see the "mother" form. The "mother" is the cloudy sediment that contains all the enzymes, minerals, and probiotics that give ACV its health benefits. Non-organic, over-processed vinegars don't have the "mother" and are clear when held up to the light.
- 3 apples, medium-sized
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- filtered water, to cover the apples
- cheese cloth
- Wash apples and chop them into medium-sized pieces. Place pieces into a sterilized jar.
- Mix sugar with one cup of water and pour the mixture into the jar to cover the apples. Add more water if necessary.
- Cover the jar with the cheese cloth or a paper towel. This allows the liquid to breathe while protecting it from bugs.
- Place the jar in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks.
- At the end of 2-3 weeks, strain the liquid to get rid of all the apple pieces and then return the vinegar to your pantry for another 4-6 weeks, stirring every few days.
- After the first four weeks, you can start to taste the vinegar and once it's reached the acidity level you like, you can transfer it to another jar and begin to use it.
Best Way to Use ACV for Weight Loss
- Read Before Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar for Weight Loss
I wrote this article to answer common questions about apple cider vinegar - How often to drink ACV? When to drink? What can I mix it with? Will I lose weight fast if I drank more cider vinegar?
Read on for Vital information in the Comments Section
Readers of this article have asked hundreds of questions and I have answered those queries. You will most likely find an answer to your question in the comments section below. Please read previous questions before asking a new question. Thank you for reading.
Information in this article is for educational purpose only, and should not be used in place of medical advice. Please consult your doctor before making any changes to your diet. There are no guarantees with this diet.
Questions & Answers
© 2011 Alana Niall