Best Natural Appetite Suppressants for Healthy Weight Loss
Do you ever feel hungry 30 minutes right after you've just eaten breakfast? What about those late night cravings that bother you so much you can't sleep?
For those of us who are trying hard to lose weight or tone up for the summer season, you may be wondering if there are any natural appetite suppressants out there. By "natural," I am referring to the foods that we eat, and NOT supplements.
Weight loss supplements and appetite suppressants have many side effects including :
Increased heart rate, high blood pressure, anxiety, insomnia, dizziness, headache, and dry mouth.
Suppressing your appetite is a key to achieving your weight loss goals. There are many factors that cause the body to have trouble knowing when it's full and when to stop eating.
First of all, if you are eating whole foods with the exact amount of nutrients that your body requires to function, your body really doesn't need an appetite suppressant. When your body is deprived of a certain vitamin or nutrients, it will crave for more food.
Unfortunately with our typical fast paced lifestyle, it's really hard to eat a perfectly balanced meal all the time. Really hard. Even if you're a vegetarian or raw foodist or any other health nut like myself, do you really think that you've got it all down to the perfect science?
Study this list of foods that can keep you full longer and curb your appetite. Not only are they excellent natural appetite suppressants, they are all healthy foods, full of vitamins and minerals. So in essence you are killing two birds with one stone!
The benefit of eating foods that are a natural appetite suppressant is that they are much better for your overall health, although it may not be as fast acting as supplements.
Foods that are high in fiber and low in glycemic index will keep you full longer!
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Take a tablet right before meals and it will help keep insulin levels sable after you eat, which prevents your look sugar level to crash. Drinking too much apple cider vinegar can cause throat irritation due o it's acidity. Interact with other supplements or drugs, diuretics or insulin.
- Apples. Apples contain a natural soluble fiber called pectin, which is a natural appetite suppressor. Pectin helps control blood sugar and keeps you feeling full for longer. Fiber will keep you full longer and eliminates sugar cravings. Apples Here's another secret: you need to drink a lot of water when eating fiber. Make a habit of drinking a glass of water after eating foods high in fiber, such as apples or oatmeal. Water helps the undigested fiber expand in your system, keeping you fuller. Oatmeal is a slow burning carb, which suppresses the hunger hormone gherlin.
- Flax seed fills the stomach by keeping you full. It also contains mono saturated fat, which signals your brain to tell it it's full. A small one ounce of flaxseed has about 8 g of fiber.
- Almonds and pine nuts. According to the Journal of cell metabolism, good fats. Almonds and pine nuts have protein and good fats. Vitamin E in almonds, along with antioxidants, and magnesium (2006 Obesity Society Annual Scientific Meeting), has been shown to increase feelings of fullness. Pine nut oil has pinolenic acid, a natural polyunsaturated fat that stimulates two powerful hormones that signals to your brain that you're full. Dr.Oz recommends eating pine nuts to help suppress appetite.
5. Green leafy vegetables. You may have heard of them as "negative calories." That's because it takes more calories for your body to digest. At the same time your stomach feels full, and you haven't eaten a massive amount of calories.
- Here are some ideas: drink a glass of green smoothie filled with spinach and fruits right before your lunch or dinner. It will suppress our appetite by making you eat less calories.
- Always eat a large salad first, when you're eating at a restaurant. Vegetable-based protein will keep you full and keeps you satisfied longer so you'll eat less and eliminate hunger pangs.
6. Power smoothies. Why do you think all athletes and nutritionist are so crazy about drinking their protein shakes? Whey protein powder mixed with water not only held you lose weight, but ma also affect hormones that influence a feeling of fullness.
7. Rooibos tea and green tea. Rooibos tea is a mild tea from the African bush. It comes in two different varieties, green and red Rooibos tea. Green rooibos tea has 5x antioxidant levels than regular green tea! Since it is very hydrating and has no caffeine, I make a batch by steeping loose tea leave and adding it in a sports bottle. I put ice and dilute it with more water, and sip it through the day. This is my favorite appetite suppressant because of the added kick of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Rooibos tea has a natural sweetness, so you don't even have to add milk or sugar, which adds more calories. Rooibos tea also has zero calories. Since it contains so many antioxidants, it tricks the brain into believing that it's full. When I dilute it water, I am hydrating my body, feeling full longer, and feeling good.
Rooibos tea also calms you down. Did you know that when you get stressed, your body releases the hormone cortisol, which makes you hungry? Not getting enough sleep will also release gherkin levels, which makes you want to eat more. Your body will also decrease levels of leptin, the fat burning and appetites suppressing hormone.
Remember there's no magic formula for weight loss. The most powerful appetite suppressant is a healthy diet, coupled with nutrient dense foods. When you eat vegetable-based proteins, which lowers insulin levels, and controls hunger pains. Remember: spiked levels of insulin initiates hunger attacks.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.