How I Lost Weight Eating Local in New Jersey
Since I got married in 2015, I put on over 30 pounds by eating a very poor diet of fast food and snacks. The weight made my back and hips hurt and I also felt tired, moody, and a little depressed.
My husband's health insurance offers coaching programs and I had joined to improve my health. From these programs, I learned about food journaling, eating whole foods, and reducing my consumption of processed food.
In September, I started to keep a food journal by writing down everything I ate and drink each day I because I weighed 175.2 pounds and my waist measured 40 inches. For my whole adult life my weight averaged between 135-140 pounds, so this was the heaviest I had ever been and I needed to make some changes.
By January I had managed to lose 11 pounds, so I was down to 164 pounds. My waist was also down to 37 inches. But I was stuck at these numbers and still at them in April. I needed to get serious again. One night I went out with some girlfriends and we took pictures after our meal. I was shocked to see how fat I looked and decided I had to do something about it.
One of my girlfriends told me about the "12-Day Smoothie Slim Detox eBook" she was following. She had lost 20 pounds in the first two weeks. She also said she had a lot more energy and was working out twice a day. She encouraged me to start the smoothie detox. It was the perfect time, as I already had a list of all my favorite fruits and vegetables and when they were in season.
My Favorite Fruits and Vegetables
Broccoli, lettuce, peas, spinach.
Blueberries, cherries, strawberries.
Tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, lettuce, onions, peas, squash, spinach.
Apples, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, raspberries.
Tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, onions, peas, peppers, potatoes, squash, sweet corn.
Apples, blackberries, blueberries, grapes, peaches, raspberries.
Tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, onions, peppers, potatoes, squash, sweet corn.
Apples, grapes, peaches, raspberries.
Tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, onions, peppers, potatoes, squash, sweet corn.
Tomatoes, beets, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, Lettuce, Peppers, Potatoes.
Beets, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, Peppers.
(There are some fruit and vegetables missing from this list, as it only includes my personal favorites).
Benefits of Eating Local Produce
- Food is fresh, not weeks-old sitting on a truck being transported or in a warehouse.
- Produce is more nutritious because it is picked when ripe.
- Helps the environment that you live in.
- Not packaged or stored in toxic plastic.
- Cheaper and helps your local economy.
- You know exactly where your food is from and the person who grew it.
- More likely to be organic.
- Your body will be more in tune with the area where you live, as your food grows in the same soil and uses the same air that you breathe. Local food has nutrients that protect you from sickness and allergies.
How the 12-Day Smoothie Detox Works
- I began by drinking smoothies made with bananas, frozen strawberries, frozen mangoes, frozen raspberries, frozen blueberries, spinach, and water. As I am not a huge fan of fruit, except for raspberries, I usually don't eat a lot of fruit. I also do not like eating spinach by itself unless it is covered in salad dressing. But blending these fruits together tasted surprisingly good and I couldn't taste the spinach at all.
- The reason I was using frozen fruit was that those fruits were not in season yet and the mangoes were not local. I used fresh bananas, but they were not local either. All of the ingredients were organic.
- On the detox, you can also eat all the vegetables you want, but no fried or processed food at all, similar to the other programs I was trying to follow.
- Organic eggs, chickpeas (hummus), lentils, and raw nuts are allowed.
- I was also keeping note of which food colors I ate, as I wanted to include each of the following colors every week for a well balanced, nutrient-rich diet: purple/blue, red, white, green, orange, and yellow. Making smoothies has helped me hit this target every week.
The first week I lost six pounds with no exercise, bringing my weight down to 158 pounds and my waist to 35 inches.
Then Ramadan came and I went off of the diet, as I was only eating once a day. I did still have smoothies, maybe three times a week. When Ramadan was over and even more fruits and vegetables were in season, I got back on the smoothie and whole food diet.
I am currently 156 pounds and my waist is stuck at 35 inches. This has been a long process. It is much easier to put on the weight than it is to lose it!
I have noticed that my energy has increased and am not feeling as tired as I was before. I think if I add exercise to my daily routine, I can attain my goal of getting to back to 140 pounds.
Do you get your 5 fruits and vegetables a day?
Pick-Your-Own Farms in New Jersey
- Hunterdon, Warren, Sussex County, NJ
Pick the best produce and the sweetest berries at this farm located in Milford NJ, Delicious sweet, fresh, locally-grown peaches, apples, and berries.
- Cider Mill
Fresh local produce. firewood, and pies.
- Demarest Farms Orchard
Demarest Farms Orchard offers weekly dinners and events, live music, fresh baked breads, and more.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2018 Georgina Prentice