Nutrition Tips to Promote Good Health
Take the Time to Eat Healthy Foods
In today's fast paced society, our lives are filled with careers, family, friends, and social events. This can make it extremely hard at times to eat proper and healthy foods. But it is important that we take the time to exercise and choose good, healthy meals while trying to maintain a strong body and healthy weight.
You can lose extra pounds with just a few changes to your eating habits. I gave up drinking soda, drink lots of water, and substituted chocolate soy milk in place of chocolate milk and I lost seven pounds. This was a great reward for making a few small changes to my eating habits. The big benefit is that I had more energy and felt better.
Eating well, choosing healthy foods, and staying fit and strong is in our best interest in the long term. While we can't stop time and we will continue to age, eating healthy will slow down the aging process and may keep health issues from developing. Women often take care of others and do so much for their families and communities and still have demanding careers. It may be hard for us to remember to take good care of ourselves as well.
Make Healthy Everday Choices
Healthy Eating Tips
Following is a list of some tips and choices for healthier eating:
- Try to choose low-fat milk and cheese products. Try soy milk. I like chocolate milk but it is loaded with calories and fat. By switching to Silk Chocolate soy milk I can enjoy chocolate milk with less than half the calories and it tastes good.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables without butter or sauces. Apples, oranges, bananas, carrots, and salads are healthy choices.
- Choose turkey, chicken, and fish and limit red meats. Removing the skin from the turkey and chicken reduces fat and calories.
- If you do eat red meat, choose lean cuts or remove the fat. Also watch the portion size.
- Watch your salt intake and maybe use spices or a salt substitute.
- Check the labels for the fat and salt content. Choose the lower fat and salt products.
- When cooking, choose to use low-fat cheese and milk in recipes
- When cooking meats, let the meat broth cool and skim the top layer of fat off.
- If you have the urge to snack, try snacking on fruits and raw vegetables or nuts.
- Try experimenting with different spices in place of salt.
Healthy Breakfast Tips
For many of us, mornings are a mad rush off to school or work with little time for a healthy breakfast. Following are some tips for quick nutritious food choices in the morning.
- Cereal with skim milk takes very little time in the morning.
- Add a banana to the cereal or grab a banana or other fruit on your way out the door.
- Keep small containers of a variety of juices in the refrigerator. These are easy to grab anytime.
- Choose whole grain bread or muffins and make some quick toast.
- Add some healthy peanut butter to the toast or muffin.
- Keep some nutritious breakfast bars in the cupboard for those days when there is no time for anything else.
- Start your morning off with a big glass of water or juice. I buy big containers of orange juice and apple juice because they are cheaper than buying the small individual containers. I then fill small bottles with juice and keep them in the front of the refrigerator where I can just reach in and grab anytime. I find that I drink more juice because the small containers are easy to just grab.
Unhealthy Choices to Try to Avoid
- Doughnuts or other sweet breakfast items.
- Using excess butter or sugary jams for your toast or muffins.
- Soda in the morning.
- Snacking on chips and sweets in the evenings.
- Gravy. If you use it, limit it to small amounts
- Snacking while watching television. This is a big problem for me, but I have found that if I keep vegetables and fruits cleaned and ready to eat I will munch on those instead of the chips and goodies that I love.
Healthy Lunch Ideas
Whether you pack your lunch, eat at home or go out to eat, you will need to make choices on whether to choose a healthy lunch or go for lunch with lots of fat and calories. Here are some healthy choice suggestions for lunch.
- Chicken or tuna sandwiches on whole grain bread with some fresh vegetables
- Salads which you can add chicken or turkey with a limited amount of dressing or a low fat dressing
- Soups such as vegetable soup, chicken noodle or other low fat and low salt soup served with a whole grain roll
- Vegetable platters with lots of cooked vegetables
- Low fat cottage cheese with a fruit of your choice
- Grapes can be a great lunch choice or an afternoon snack
Things you try to avoid with your lunches:
- Limit your eating from the vending machine
- Limit chips, soda, candy and desserts
- Avoid fast food takeout
- Refrain from alcohol on your lunch break
Grilled Chicken And Vegetables For Dinner
Healthy Dinner Suggestions
Dinner is generally the biggest meal of the day for many people after their workday or day at school. However, you will want to choose healthy dinner foods and watch your portion sizes. Following are some ideas for good nutritious dinners.
- Fish is always a good choice. Broiling it or baking it are your better choices. Adding a toss salad and a plain baked potato is one good choice
- Grilled chicken breast with freshly steamed vegetables with no butter or sauce followed by some fresh fruit is a healthy dinner
- A lean beef roast with potatoes and vegetables
- Tuna or chicken casseroles made with vegetables and low fat milk and cheese
These are just a few ideas. There are many good cookbooks you can buy with recipes that are low fat but healthy and nutritious.
Summing It All Up
We can choose to eat better and healthier. It may take some time to undo old habits but the benefits will pay off in the long term. Do some planning in advance for your lunches and other meals. Avoid being tempted to buy chips, soda, candy and sweet items at the store. If they are not in your cupboards, it will be easier to avoid the temptation. Eat more fruits and vegetables on a daily basis and choose more fish and chicken in place of red meats. Buy some good low fat cookbooks and give some new recipes a try. Try the different spices in place of salt.
Who knows? You may even enjoy the healthier meals and lifestyle.
Questions & Answers
© 2014 L.M. Hosler