How to Lose Weight Fast in 5 Simple Steps
Lose Weight Quickly and Easily
Obesity is now a national epidemic. We are consuming more processed, refined and sugary foods than ever before, and this is taking its toll – both on our health and our waistlines! At any given time almost a third of us are on some sort of "diet." Billions of dollars are spent each year on various diet aids. Yet only around 5% of those who attempt to lose weight actually succeed and keep it off. But if you want to learn how to lose weight fast, it’s actually not that difficult. You just need to understand and implement a few basic principles.
The Five Principles of Weight Loss
In order to lose weight, all you really need to do is take in fewer calories than you expend. This can be done in two ways:
- Consume fewer calories.
- Expend more calories.
However, starvation diets are not the answer. These will just cause your metabolism to slow right down, making it harder to lose weight (and easier to put it back on again when you come off your ‘diet’). You’ll also lose a lot of muscle tissue, and you’ll be constantly fighting hunger. In a battle of will against hunger, hunger will win every time. So you’re fighting a losing battle.
So what’s the solution? It’s simply a matter of changing some of the foods you are eating. What you eat is far more important than how much. By eating the right foods you can feel satisfied all the time, whilst still drastically cutting your calories, so you’ll achieve your weight loss goals with ease.
So to lose weight fast, and then keep it off, follow these five simple steps:
- Be determined to succeed. If you enter into your weight loss program in a half-hearted manner, you’ll be unlikely to stick to it for long. So it’s essential to make a firm decision and be absolutely determined to follow it through. Focus on your ‘why’. What is the reason you want to lose weight? Remind yourself of this every day. It takes effort to change habits, so stay focused on your goal and be determined!
- Eat less processed, refined and sugary foods. Foods such as pizzas, pies, pastries, cakes, biscuits, candy bars, puddings etc. all tend to be calorie dense, and they are also very easy to overeat. So they tend to pack on the weight – as well as causing a lot of disease in the body. They also cause the body to hold on to its fat stores. If you do eat packaged foods of any sort, always check the labels for their sugar and fat content. And beware of foods labeled ‘low fat’, as these are usually high in sugar!
- Eat more natural, whole foods. Meat, fish, and eggs are high in essential protein and are very satiating. Vegetables contain a wide range of nutrients, as well as a good amount of healthy fiber. Fruit, nuts, seeds and dairy are also healthy and nutritious, but should not be eaten in excess. Whole grains (brown rice, oats etc.) and potatoes provide a healthy source of complex carbohydrates, as well as additional fiber, but again should only be eaten in moderation. Base your diet on these foods and you will lose weight easily, whilst also greatly improving your health.
- Drink plenty of water. This may seem like a minor point, but it’s actually very important. In today’s polluted environment, your fat cells act as ‘store houses’ for toxins. When your fat is used up it releases these toxins, and they need to be flushed out of your system as quickly as possible. Otherwise you could experience side effects such as headaches, nausea or skin irritations. So make sure you keep your fluid intake high.
- Ensure you exercise regularly. Although what you eat is the most important factor, true long term healthy weight loss is impossible without exercise. Cardiovascular exercise, such as brisk walking or running, helps to burn off additional fat, whilst strength training will help you maintain (or even increase) your muscle mass while you are losing fat.
I also highly recommend taking a good quality, whole food source multivitamin supplement each day, as the extra nutrients this provides will help to keep your metabolism high, as well as ensuring against the longer term health problems associated with deficiencies.
It’s important to realize that successful long term weight loss cannot be achieved by going on a diet of some sort. It requires a permanent lifestyle change, replacing old habits with new ones. You can still eat all your favorite foods occasionally if you wish though – just don’t make a habit of it and you’ll be fine.
So now you know exactly how to lose weight fast, and keep it off. Just follow the 5 simple steps outlined here and you should soon be able to achieve your goal of a slimmer, healthier you.
The Consequences of Being Overweight
If you are significantly overweight you can expect to suffer ill health, a poor quality of life and an early death.
Being overweight makes you far more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, as well as high blood cholesterol and triglycerides. On top of this, excess abdominal fat causes your cells to become insulin resistant. This causes you to secrete more insulin to compensate, and this can eventually lead to diabetes.
If you have any of these (high blood pressure, increased cholesterol and triglycerides, or diabetes) you will have an increased risk of early death. But if you have two or more, a heart attack or stroke could strike at any time.
In fact being overweight causes almost all degenerative diseases to be accelerated and puts you at a much greater risk of developing certain types of cancer as well. So it’s got to be worth making an effort to address the problem and start to shed some of those excess pounds.
Which do you think is most important for successful weight loss?See results without voting
More by this Author
If you want to build muscle effectively it's not just about working out with weights. You need to eat right to. But just what is the best muscle building diet? This hub answers that question.
If you are looking to lose some weight quickly you might be interested to know how I lost 20 pounds in a month. Copy my example and you might do the same - or even better!
If you want to put on a large amount of muscle in as short a time as possible, a full body workout routine is the best way to do it. Provided you know how to set it up in the right way...