Hendrika is passionate about diet, exercise and dancing. She works as a data capturer in her son's business.
Here are some top tips on how to lose leg fat. Summer is coming and most of us are dreading all that revealing summer clothes. Summer means shorts and swimwear and days on the beach. You do not want to hide all summer so now you really want to know how to lose the fat on your legs.
You will be surprised to hear that it is easier than you think. It is the same as losing weight and the same principles apply. To get rid of them, you will have to go on a healthy diet and do exercises.
The top tips in this article will include ones on:
Remember, diet is as important as it would be in any other weight loss effort.
- Natural food. This means stay away from all processed food and fast food. This is the most important tip. Fat, fluid, and toxins building up in your fat cells are one of the reasons for cellulite.
- What are you drinking? Become aware of what you are drinking. You may get a shock once you realize how many "empty" calories you consume per day. By empty calories, I mean the sugar in soda drinks, coffee, and even in fruit juice. In eliminating these, you will be well on your way to solve your problem.
- Lean protein. Eat only low fat meat, chicken, and fish. It is also a good idea to eat very little red meat and mostly chicken breasts and fish. Do not cut out red meat completely, as it is still a very good source of iron to prevent anemia. This way you will be cutting out a lot of calories a day without reducing the amount of food you eat.
- Fruit. Fruit is good for you so do not stop eating it completely, but be aware that most contain a lot of sugar, so you have to limit it to no more than three small portions a day. Be especially aware that you should not eat more than one small banana a day. Pig out on strawberries if you can, as they have very little sugar and taste divine as dessert with a little fat free yogurt.
- Lots of vegetables. Eat lots and lots of vegetables—up to six large portions a day if you can. Keep in mind that potatoes, sweet potatoes, and legumes are not included in this. Peas should also be considered a carb as opposed to a veggie, as they contain a lot of starch. You will have to go slow on all starches.
- Limit carbohydrates. Speaking of starchy foods, once again do not cut it out completely as you need it for the energy to exercise, but limit it to five very small portions a day. This includes your starchy vegetables, rice, pasta, and so forth.
- Limit dairy products. Once again, do not cut out all dairy—your body needs the calcium. It is true that lots of green leafy vegetables also supply you with lots of calcium, but it is good to eat some dairy for insurance as well. Eat only two small, fat free portions a day. I find fat free yogurt the best option as you can use it for so many things. Add some herbs and you have a tasty dressing, use it as the basis for a fat free marinade, and use it as a topping on fruit as a dessert. The possibilities are endless! Beware of hard cheeses, as they contain a lot of fat.
- Limit fat. Once again, do not cut out all fat from your diet, your body needs a little fat to be able to absorb the fat soluble vitamins. Eat no more than two teaspoons of fat or oil a day. This includes whatever you spread on your bread and all kinds of dressings and marinades. Here you have to be really on the look out, as fat creeps up pretty fast!
- Drink lots of water. This is a very important one: drink lots of water. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Water helps with eliminating toxins from your body and keeps it hydrated. It also keeps your skin hydrated and can help with the appearance of cellulite as it makes the skin more elastic.
- Limit alcohol. This is very important! I know for many, a meal is just not the same without a glass of wine. But really, if you ask me how to lose leg fat, I have to stress that alcohol is going to make the problem bigger. Alcohol contains a lot of "empty" calories. The second problem is that it reduces your self-discipline and can make you cheat. We all know that feeling of, "So what?" Always keep that in mind when you are on a diet.
Once again, losing leg fat is similar to losing general weight. In other words, you have to burn calories to get rid of the fat before anything else.
- For leg fat, variations of aerobic exercises are the most important. Most aerobic or cardio exercises make your legs work and are therefore good leg exercises. With a few adjustments, they become excellent for this purpose.
- Another benefit of aerobic exercises is that they improve the blood circulation and that helps with the elimination of toxins and the general tone of your legs. To improve cellulite, you cannot get better than aerobic exercises!
To really get benefits from exercises, you have to do it regularly. It is of course best to exercise daily, but if that is impossible try to go for at least 3-4 times a week.
- Walking. Walking is one of the best leg fat exercises. It is also very easy to include in your daily routine. Look for all opportunities to walk and you will be surprised to see how much exercise you can fit into your daily routine without doing anything extra! Walk to work, if you can. Otherwise get off the bus or train a stop too soon and walk the rest of the way. You can also park your car a little further from where you want to be and walk the rest of the way. You have to walk at a fast pace to really work those legs. If possible, it will also increase the intensity of the exercise if you walk uphill. You can really feel your legs working this way. If you are walking on a treadmill, set it at 15 degrees or even better, at 20 degrees and keep it up for at least 20 minutes
- Running. All the above tips apply to running as well. Whether you choose walking or running is going to depend on your fitness level. If you are very "walk-fit," it may be a good idea to start including some running into your exercise routine.
- Cycling. Cycling is another very good exercise that can really help you with the leg fat. To target the leg muscles more effectively, it is a good idea to try pedaling standing. Once again you have to keep this up for at least 20 minutes.
- Mini-trampoline. The mini-trampoline is one of the very best leg exercises. What makes it so cool is that you have to start with two-minute bursts. Do no more at a time to start with. In total you have to do 20 minutes a day, but do them in two-minute bursts. So, even if you are very unfit, you will be able to do this with ease! Jumping on the mini-trampoline gets the blood circulation going and it helps with draining the lymph nodes and thus eliminating more toxins. The better blood flow also helps with toning. This way, you will also improve the general appearance, including reducing cellulite.
- Calf raises. This is not aerobic exercise and it must be done in conjunction with the others. To do it, stand on the edge of a stair with your heels hanging over the edge. This is to improve the range of movement. Now, rise onto the balls of your feet and then lower it again, pushing your heels down as far as they will go. Do at least three sets containing three repeats of 10 raises each. If you cannot do this to start with, work up towards it.
- Stretches. Stretching after you have done any exercise is essential. It prevents damage to the muscles. This is not the only benefit as stretching makes you more supple, improving the appearance of your legs. Stretching alone can actually make you lose a few inches on those fat legs. Make sure you do a stretch for every muscle you have worked. One important thing to remember, though, never stretch cold muscles, always make sure you are properly warmed up.
Well, if you keep up with these top tips, you will be ready to face summer in no time without any embarrassment. Good luck!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Ashly Christen from Illinois on April 28, 2020:
I need to learn to enjoy running but it has always been a struggle.
Thanks for sharing!
Caterya on July 12, 2016:
Can you read more natural home remedies here: https://goo.gl/iahzTN
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on February 18, 2013:
Interesting information on losing leg fat, something many women don't know about or pay attention to. You have mentioned so many good points here thanks.
Dipti Punjabi on May 18, 2012:
thanks a lot...for these tips..
i think...they r gonna help me a lott....
lheigh on May 11, 2012:
nothing to worry for my legs,thanks a lot for the information..;)
vivian on April 26, 2012:
thank you for sharing us your good tips on how to lose fat legs...... it makes me feel comfortable this summer ,, now ,I can use shorts,, thank u again,.,.
Jaddays on March 26, 2012:
Muscle is good to have, if you trim it away you’d get replaced by fat, but doing ballet squats would get rid of any excess fat you have with the muscle.
Best Fat Loss Exercises on February 28, 2012:
Hi, I am Kevin Allenson,. Thank you for giving us tips.. It helps me a lot :) Keep on posting!
If you have time you can also visit this site for more information about http://howtoloseweight.ws/best-fat-loss-exercises/...
Ashley on October 05, 2011:
I really enjoyed reading your article on how to get skinny legs. There was some helpful information in here. I recently found a website that also gives tips on how to get skinny legs.
julioss on June 06, 2011:
Very informative Post,thanks for charing with us. Have you seen this other site about Lose Leg Fat , It's similar to yours.
how to Lose Leg Fat
Hendrika (author) from Pretoria, South Africa on November 11, 2010:
Camilla, go to the site the links in this Hub takes you to and you will find all the information you need there. Because of Hub rules I cannot give it to you here in my answer. The site has it all though.
Camilla on November 09, 2010:
What to eat and how much to each really will help me! Thanks! Also you guys guys know any exercises I could do to make my thighs thinner?
Lose Leg Fat on October 16, 2010:
Some good tips here, especially about keeping the alcohol consumption down to a minimum. This is always the area that people want to ignore, as it's probably the hardest to give up if you want to lose leg fat.
Meg on February 27, 2010:
It is actually better for you to have a bit of fat in yogurt - better energy source. Fills you up more as well. A dietician told me this and I was so shocked!
Emily on May 14, 2009:
Hendrika (author) from Pretoria, South Africa on April 24, 2009:
Thanks, I hope it will help a few people.
badcompany99 on April 24, 2009:
Great tips, I love my mini trampoline as its great cariac exercise as well