Drinking Fennel Seed Water for Weight Loss
What is Fennel Seed Water?
Fennel seed water is simply water infused with fennel seeds, either through immersing them in hot water or steeping it overnight in cool water. Fennel water has a light golden colour, smells fresh and clean, and the taste is not bad at all! In the beginning, I did find the taste weird but I got used to it real quick!
Fun fact: Fennel seeds or fennel water actually has a mild licorice flavor, so it leaves a sweet taste in your mouth, and is actually potent breath freshener!
Did You Know?
- The scientific name for fennel is Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce.
- Fennel is a perennial herb that belongs to the parsley family, which includes anise, caraway, cumin, and dill.
- The seeds, flowers, leaves and stem all contain nutritional and medical benefits and are used in various cuisines around the world.
In this article, we shall learn how to make a large batch of fennel seed water, or fennel water so that we can sip it throughout the day to enjoy its incredible fat-burning quality! I found out about this kind of water a couple of months ago, but I only decided to write about it after I tested it out myself. It's a time-tested, ancient herbal remedy that is prescribed as a cure in Ayurveda even for obesity! The seeds are tiny powerhouses of incredible detoxing, purifying, and metabolism-boosting nutrients, easily making it a spice worth investing in. It's not even that expensive! So stay with me as we explore the nutrients in the seeds, how to make fennel water and the various ways in which drinking it will help you burn fat and help you to effortlessly lose weight.
Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Fennel that Aid in Weight Loss
Tiny as they are, the seeds are packed with valuable nutrients that are loaded with metabolism and fat burning properties, among other health benefits. The seeds are rich in vitamins as well as minerals, as shown in the table below:
Helps in weight management and managing PMS, helps maintain bone strength, prevents high blood pressure and diabetes
Important for muscle strength, relaxes your nervous system, promotes better sleep, improves flexibility
Strengthens bones and teeth, boosts energy, promotes healthy digestion, produces protein
Crucial mineral for life, building block in cells, important for physically active people, promotes mental well-being
Strengthens eye health, rich in anti-oxidants, replenishes body cells
Wards off common colds, strengthens immune system, important for prenatal health
The insoluble fiber content increases the bulk of food in the digestive system by absorbing water, stimulates the bowels, and relieves constipation
Fennel Water Recipe for Weight Loss
Making fennel water is a simple task that doesn't require any complicated procedures.
Let's get right into the recipe. In my experience, you can make fennel water two ways:
- Brewing fennel seeds in boiling water and allowing it to cool
- Overnight steeping.
- If possible, use distilled water, the purest form of water.
- For extra aroma, roast the fennel seeds in a pan until it gives out a sweet toasted scent (only about 20 seconds of toasting on a heated pan is needed).
- For beginners, consider starting out with a smaller dose of seeds by using half the amount in the recipe. Work your way up as you get used to it.
How to Make Fennel Seed Water
METHOD 1: BREWING FENNEL SEEDS
- 1 liter or 4 cups of drinking water
- 2 tablespoons of raw fennel seeds
- In a deep pan, bring the water to a boil. You can use hot water straight out of your kettle too.
- When the water starts bubbling, toss in the fennel seeds, and switch off the flame immediately.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow this to cool to room temperature.
- Once it cools, your fennel water is now ready! All you have to do is to transfer it into your glass jar or bottle and drink it throughout the day.
- You can even make larger batches and store in the fridge if you don't have time to make a fresh batch everyday. Simply double the recipe above.
METHOD 2 - OVERNIGHT STEEPING
Lately I've been preferring the overnight steeping method for making fennel water. It's easier for me to prepare fennel water at night so I don't forget in the morning as I'm in a rush to head out the door. Also, it doesn't apply heat so the nutrients in the fennel seed have no chance of being destroyed. Lastly, it requires less utensils so I have less washing up to do!
In this method, all you have to do is:
- Get a glass jar, add in 2 tablespoons of fennel water and fill it up with 1 litre of water.
- Then, cover it with a lid and you can forget about it until the next morning.
At first the seeds will be floating at the top, but by morning the seeds will be engorged with water and will have sunk to the bottom.
How It Helps You Lose Weight
- It increases metabolism. Metabolism refers to the rate at which our cells use up energy from the food we eat. By boosting metabolism, calories in food are burned off faster in the body, aiding in fat loss.
- It is a natural appetite suppressant. Thinking of purchasing artificial appetite suppressing tablets? Consume natural fennel seeds instead. Chewing on fennel seeds helps naturally quell appetite.
- The seeds aids in blood purification. Fennel seed water helps clear out excess uric acid in the blood stream and breaks down bile. It promotes digestion of fats in the liver as well.
- The water helps to detoxify the body. In today's world, we are bombarded with toxins from every angle, from car exhaust fumes to cosmetic products. This drink helps flush out the toxins in the blood stream via the kidneys.
- It is mildly diuretic. Fennel seed water has a mild diuretic effect and can help you keep alert and awake, minus the caffeine! Sipping the water throughout the day can help you keep alert and awake, giving you just enough motivation to get up and exercise, without the usual caffeine crash.
- An anti-spasmodic effect. The anti-spasmodic effect of fennel helps suppress hunger pangs by relaxing the stomach muscles that produce the sensation. This can help you intake less calories and lose excess weight.
- It stimulates melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone produced in the brain by the pituitary gland, which is responsible for regulating sleep. A good night's sleep of 6-8 hours is crucial for healthy weight loss and can help maintain healthy weight levels as well.
How Much Should I Drink?
As much as fennel water is a great drink for weight loss, it does not mean that the more your drink of it, the more weight you lose! In fact, as with all things, everything should be done in moderation.
- Follow the recipe given and make one batch of 1 litre or 4 cups per day and sip throughout the day. Take your weight loss on a day by day basis.
- If you are worried of any adverse symptoms, begin with one cup of fennel water per day and see how you react to it. You can the build up to 4 cups per day gradually.
- Always consult your health care practitioner.
Although this is an all natural remedy, it's best to always consult your health care practitioner before undertaking any new healthcare regimen, especially if you have any known adverse health conditions or allergies. Pregnant women may want to avoid fennel or fennel water altogether.
More by this Author
Poor diet leads to dull, rough and unhealthy skin. Eating and applying these top 10 fruits for glowing skin is a sure-fire way to boost up the tone, smoothness, softeness and complexion of your skin.
What are the health benefits of red apples? There are many types of apples and while they all have good health benefits, let's explore red apple health benefits, their nutrients, origins and more.
Easily increase your blood's haemoglobin level and resolve iron deficiency by adding these 10 iron-rich fruits to your regular diet. Increasing iron does not have to be chore.