I love researching and writing about the health benefits of various fruits and vegetables.
What Is Fennel Seed Water?
Fennel seed water is simply water infused with fennel seeds. Infusing can be done either by immersing the seeds in hot water or by steeping them overnight in cool water. The infused water has a light golden colour, smells fresh and clean, and the taste is not bad at all! In the beginning, I did find the taste weird but I got used to it quickly!
In this article, you will learn how to make a large batch of fennel seed water so that you can sip it throughout the day. I found out about this kind of water a couple of months ago, but I only decided to write about it after I tested it out myself. It's a time-tested, ancient herbal remedy that is prescribed in Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for obesity.
These seeds are tiny powerhouses of detoxifying and metabolism-boosting nutrients. They are rich in vitamins as well as minerals, as shown in the nutrition facts table later in the article.
Did You Know?
- The scientific name for fennel is Foeniculum vulgare var. dulce.
- In Hindi, fennel is called saunf.
- This perennial herb belongs to the parsley family, which also includes anise, caraway, cumin, and dill.
- The seeds, flowers, leaves, and stems all contain nutritional and medical benefits and are used in cuisines around the world.
Nutritional Benefits of Fennel Seeds
|Nutrient in Fennel||Health Benefit|
Helps with weight management and easing PMS symptoms. Helps maintain bone strength and prevents high blood pressure and diabetes
Important for muscle strength, relaxes your nervous system, promotes better sleep, and improves flexibility
Strengthens bones and teeth, boosts energy, promotes healthy digestion, and produces protein
Crucial mineral for building cells, important for physically active people, and promotes mental well-being
Strengthens eye health, rich in anti-oxidants, and replenishes body cells
Wards off common colds, strengthens the immune system, and important for prenatal health
The insoluble fiber content increases the bulk of food in the digestive system by absorbing water, stimulates the bowels, and relieves constipation
How Fennel Water Helps You Lose Weight
- It increases metabolism. Metabolism refers to the rate at which our cells use up energy from the food we eat. By boosting metabolism, calories in food are burned off faster in the body, aiding in fat loss.
- It is a natural appetite suppressant. Thinking of purchasing artificial appetite suppressing tablets? Drink fennel water instead. Even chewing on the seeds helps naturally quell appetite.
- The seeds are said to aid in blood purification. Fennel seed water may help clear out excess uric acid in the blood stream and break down bile. It promotes digestion of fats in the liver as well.
- The water may help to detoxify the body. In today's world, we are bombarded with toxins from every angle, from car exhaust fumes to cosmetic products. This drink helps flush out the toxins in the blood stream via the kidneys.
- It is a mild stimulant. This infused water can help you keep alert and awake, without caffeine! Sipping the water throughout the day can help you keep alert and awake, giving you just enough motivation to get up and exercise, without the usual caffeine crash.
- An anti-spasmodic effect. The anti-spasmodic effect of fennel helps suppress hunger pangs by relaxing the stomach muscles that produce the sensation. This can help you intake less calories and lose excess weight.
- It may stimulate melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone produced in the brain by the pituitary gland, which is responsible for regulating sleep. A good night's sleep of 6-8 hours is crucial for healthy weight loss and maintenance.
Uses in Traditional Medicine
Fennel seeds have been used by people since antiquity for a wide range of ailments, including respiratory, digestive, and even reproductive disorders. For an excellent overview of the health benefits, read this study conducted at the National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health in Mumbai, India.
Some women use fennel to increase the flow of breast milk.
Fennel Water Recipes for Weight Loss
Making fennel water is a simple task that doesn't require any complicated procedures.
Let's get right into the recipe. In my experience, there are two types of preparation:
- Brewing the seeds in boiling water and allowing them to cool.
- Overnight steeping.
How to Make Fennel Seed Water (Hot Brew Method)
Here is my first recipe for fennel seed water, made by brewing the seeds in hot water.
- 1 liter or quart distilled water
- 2 tablespoons raw fennel seeds
- In a deep pan, bring the quart of water to a boil. You can boil the water in your kettle, too, and transfer it to a pot.
- When the water starts bubbling, toss in the fennel seeds and immediately switch off the heat.
- Cover the pot with a lid and allow tea to cool to room temperature.
- Once it cools, your fennel water is ready! All you have to do is to transfer it into your glass jar or bottle and drink throughout the day.
- If you want to make a larger batch, simply double the recipe. Store in the fridge if you don't have time to make a fresh batch everyday.
- If possible, use distilled water.
- For extra aroma, roast the fennel seeds in a pan until they give off a sweet, toasted scent (about 20 seconds of toasting on a heated pan is needed).
- For beginners, consider starting out with a smaller dose of seeds by using half the amount in the recipe. Work your way up as you get used to it.
Fennel boosts the metabolism, which will help you to burn fat more quickly.
How to Make Fennel Water (Overnight Brewing Method)
Lately I have preferred this method. It nice to have the water ready in the morning, when I'm in a rush to head out the door. Also, it doesn't involve applying heat, so the nutrients in the seeds are not destroyed. This method also requires fewer utensils so I have less washing up to do!
- Get a glass jar, add in 2 tablespoons of raw fennel seeds and fill with 1 quart or liter of distilled water.
- Cover with a lid or screwtop.
- At first the seeds will float on the top, but by morning they will be engorged with water and will have sunk to the bottom.
How Much Should I Drink?
As with all things, drinking fennel water should be done in moderation.
- Follow the recipe given and make one batch of 1 litre or 4 cups per day. Sip throughout the day. Take your weight loss on a day-by-day basis.
- If you are worried about any adverse symptoms, begin with one cup of fennel water per day and see how you react to it. You can the build up to 4 cups per day gradually.
- Always consult your health care practitioner.
It's best to consult your health care practitioner before undertaking any new healthcare regimen, especially if you have any known adverse health conditions or allergies.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2014 healthmunsta
Lakki on March 31, 2019:
I’m drinking night soaking fennel water nicely warming , and than Add with lemon juice , & cinnamon powder 1/2 tablespoon, I drank 3 months , I loose 6 kg , I’m really very much happy to share with All guys
Shakiba on December 30, 2018:
I will try it....
Shakiba on December 30, 2018:
It's good and i will try it.....
जगननाथ on May 07, 2018:
whether it should be taken before meal or after meal
Hanka on January 16, 2018:
farheen on November 30, 2017:
Breastfeeding mother can also drink this fennel water?
marlene on August 11, 2017:
gonna try this
Koki amin on July 20, 2017:
Do you eat fennel seeds after drinking fennel water
Lovely on July 14, 2017:
Can i use this fennel water while breast feeding
Lovely on June 29, 2017:
Is that safe during breastfeeding
Plz can u tell me
Miami on May 17, 2017:
Do you eat the seeds after drinking the water?
bobbie clay on May 05, 2017:
Can you use honey in the fennel water
Neelam on January 30, 2017:
My periods have been irregular after my child birth. But from the last couple of months, periods have been stoped. What should I do now. Kindly be noted that I am underweight as well.
Osian Saha on December 31, 2016:
Can we reuse the used fennel seeds again??
Cheryl on November 20, 2016:
6. Relieves Menstrual Problems
Many factors, including stress and poor diet, can interrupt a woman’s regular menstrual cycle. Fennel seeds have emmenagogue properties that promote and regulate menstrual flow. The herb also has phytoestrogens that help with issues like premenstrual syndrome, menopausal disorders, and breast enlargement.
A 2012 study conducted by researchers from Babol University of Medical Sciences and Health Services in Iran also indicates that fennel can help reduce symptoms of dysmenorrheal or painful menstruation.
Apart from menstrual benefits, fennel is traditionally used as a galactagogue to promote lactation in nursing mothers. It also works as an aphrodisiac to increase libido in both men and women.
Wanita on July 26, 2016:
Do I eat regular food and fennel seed water for diet
Tanu on June 14, 2016:
What is the best time to drive k fennel seed water to see effrctive results? Empty stomach morning time or before bed?
chinky on December 17, 2015:
Can we drink fennel water during periods?
As I am using it as period regulator.
Plz do reply
Cal on November 19, 2015:
What if i grind the seeds into powder, mix the powder in water and keep it overnight? Will I get same results as steeping whole seeds in water?
ama on September 18, 2015:
Can boil a fresh fennel as tea and drink
Carrie McAstocker on July 28, 2015:
can you reuse fennel seeds?
Agility Beauty from U.S.A on July 28, 2015:
i think its good and i will try it to my self
Dianemae on July 25, 2015:
Good information. I was drinking fennel tea but stopped, for no reason I think I'll make a pot right now.
Sim on June 06, 2015:
Can we ladies drink this water during periods??
Canita Prough from Texas on June 06, 2015:
I think I will give it a try.
raji on March 25, 2015:
Can I dry roast fennel seed and powder it.then whenever I want I can use this powder to feel the freshness
Maher on March 16, 2015:
I've been eating fennel after each meal now for the past week and a half. I've also included drinking warm/hot water in my diet. This helped me loose about an inch on my belly without changing the way I eat or consume food. This does say something I guess..
gobi. on January 15, 2015:
Thanx for this remedies..its really works..
Abraham on January 14, 2015:
Wow, I am grateful for this hub: This reaffirms why I started drinking this and fenugreek tea/water in the morning to detox for better health (I am fascinated with herbal medicine from all cultures!). I definitely feel more energized and leaner when fenugreek and fennel seeds are in my diet.
Also, although I completely agree that everyone should do their own research and make educated/informed decisions when starting a new "diet", did you know that after pregnancy fennel and fenugreek is good for you? Apparently it increases lactation/milk production and balances hormones out!
aditi on January 11, 2015:
Can we ladies drink this water during periods??
Helper on January 09, 2015:
Pinky, only use glass container or glass jar. Plastic containers should be avoided.
pinky on January 08, 2015:
May i know if we can soak fennel seeds in water in container otherthan glassjar??? Like utensil or water bottles???
J.O. on December 09, 2014:
Drinking destilled water can be toxic, becouse not only acids are filterd from your body but also essential nutrients. (sorry for the bad grammer i'm dutch)
priya on November 02, 2014:
how much fennel water should i drink?
Angie on August 21, 2014:
I can't sleep and stay awake all night whenever I drink fennel tea
Bradley on July 17, 2014:
revise this line perhaps x
In this method, all you have to do is to get a glass jar, pour in 2 tablespoons of fennel water and fill it up with 1 litre of water
healthmunsta (author) on April 25, 2014:
Hello, preweb! I believe fennel infused tea or fennel water is the remedy for weight loss in particular. Water has zero calories and fills your stomach and the fennel in fennel water has many properties that help suppress appetite.
As for your second question, is it possible to overdose on fennel seeds? The answer is, too much of anything can be bad for you. Eating a teaspoon of fennel seeds after every meal, for breath freshening is quite enough. You wouldn't need to eat fennel seeds more often than this.
Hope you found this helpful!
preweb from UK on April 25, 2014:
Nice hub. I always eat fennel seeds as a mouth fresher but didn't know other benefits earlier. One of my friend keeps chewing fennel seeds all day. Does over eating has any side effects? And is eating fennel seed has the same benefits as
fennel water ?