Edward Happer is a registered dietitian and health blogger providing clinical counseling. He writes under name of Bilaras on health blogs.
Expert Advice for Weight Loss
I discovered this diet plan when I needed to lose weight quickly. I had a fitness exam and needed to lose five pounds, but I wanted a healthy weight-loss plan, not one that would tell me to starve myself. This plan worked for me, and if you want to lose ten pounds in a week, you have come to the right place.
I am a registered dietitian and nutritionist. My focus is to promote whole food nutrition, so you will not find any weight-loss medicines or supplements in this diet plan. The only things you need to lose weight are healthy, fresh food from your local market. I own a nutrition clinic where I provide healthy eating and exercise counseling to families to help young children maximise their growth and health potential. I know all about the weight-loss pills on the market. Most of them are unhealthy and cause nausea, diarrhea, and other serious symptoms.
Follow this plan carefully and you will likely lose 10-15 pounds. This diet is healthy. It is all about losing weight by controlling your food intake. You will lose weight and also notice some positive effects on your skin and digestive system.
Lose 10 Pounds in a Week
|Overview of Allowed Foods|
Day One: Eat only low-sugar fruit today. No bananas! Choose apples, pomegranates, and any citrus you like. Drink 12 glasses of water.
Day Two: Vegetables only. Start the day with a boiled potato. Eat the salads of your choice, plus drink 12 glasses of water.
Day Three: You're allowed both fruit and vegetables today. No potatoes or bananas. Drink 12 glasses of water.
Day Four: Eat eight whole bananas today. Make and eat today's basic vegetable soup recipe. Drink three glasses of milk. Also, drink 12 glasses of water.
Day Five: Eat six small tomatoes today plus a serving of plain, boiled rice. You can also have more vegetable soup, apples, oranges, and grapefruit. Drink at least 10 glasses of water
Day Six: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup three times. Drink at least 10 glasses of water.
Day Seven: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup and vegetable salad today. Drink at least 10 glasses of water, plus fruit juice if desired.
Weigh Yourself Now, Then Wait a Week
One very important rule: Put your scale away for the week. That's right. I don't want you to weigh yourself for the entire seven days of the diet. The reason for this is to focus on how much better you feel rather than on the number of pounds you lose. At day seven you can pull out your scale and step aboard to see how many pounds have come off.
Seven-Day Diet: Follow These Links for Each Day's Instructions
- Day One: Eat Any Kind of Fruit, Except Bananas.
Save bananas for day four! Preferred fruits for day one are apples, watermelon, and any kind of citrus fruit. Nutritional information, workout video, and delicious weight-loss beverage recipes included.
- Day Two: Eat Any Type of Vegetables, Raw or Boiled.
On day two, eat all the vegetables you want—alone, in a salad, or boiled with salt and pepper.
- Day Three: Combine Fruits and Vegetables, Raw or Boiled.
On day three you will combine fruits and vegetables. Includes tasty salad recipe, a workout video, and expert advice to get you over your "hump" day. Plus, why good sleep is so important when dieting.
- Day Four: Milk, Bananas, and Low-Cal Soup
Day four can be tough because it's the middle of the diet program, but you are nearly halfway there! Today's menu includes a soup recipe. There is also a pep talk to help you succeed and stick with the plan.
- Day Five: Combine Fruits, Vegetables, and Rice.
We are more than half-way through and our target is not far away. You may already feel that you have lost some weight. This day's menu includes tomatoes, which are key to chemical breakdown and losing weight.
- Day Six: Vegetables and Rice
On day six, eat vegetables and rice plus the salads and soup you made on days two and four.
- Day Seven: Rice, Soup, and Salad.
You made it! Continue to eat as you did on day six: rice with vegetables, soup, and salad. Includes strategies for keeping weight off and maintaining a healthy food routine.
Eat Only Fresh Food!
On the second day of the diet, eat any type of vegetable you want, as much as you want. You can eat them either raw, in a salad, or boiled with salt and pepper.
Seven-Day Diet: Frequently Asked Questions
Many readers have benefited from this diet. Read the comments section below to read success stories and questions that others have posted. Since many have tried this diet before you, I may have addressed your question already.
With that in mind, I have compiled some of the most frequently asked questions, and my answers, here to help you succeed with your goal. You will find more frequently asked questions and answers on the page for Day One.
- Why do people get different results with this diet plan? Medical conditions can play a big role in weight gain or loss. It is important to understand any medical conditions you may have before going on a diet. Many different issues can lead to abnormal weight gain, including thyroid issues. If this is a concern for you, read this article on hypothyroidism and its effect on weight. Mental health issues can also lead to weight gain or loss. If you struggle with anxiety, you may experience abnormal weight gain. Make sure to ask your doctor for advice about how to manage the anxiety without over-eating.
- I am hungry and light-headed before bed. What should I do? Eat some fruit before bed, take a five-minute walk, sit down for about ten minutes, and then go to bed.
- Is alcohol allowed on this diet? No.
- Can I continue the diet after the first week is over? Yes, you can continue for two weeks. Then take a break for a few days and continue again for another two weeks if you want.
- Is chewing gum allowed? Yes, sugar-free gum is allowed.
- I am on day four and I am very discouraged. I don't feel as if I am losing any weight at all. I encourage you to complete the seven days. Don't be too disappointed if you don't lose all ten pounds. Everybody and metabolism is different. Do be careful, however, to follow the diet exactly. Don't eat less food than is recommended in your effort to lose weight as that will throw off the diet's chemistry.
- Can I substitute anything for rice? Yes, you can have a potato, quinoa, or millet instead of rice.
- I messed up on day two. Should I go back to the day one menu or can I just repeat day two again? If you mess up or cheat a little, just repeat the day and continue on from there.
- I am fasting for Ramadan. Can I do this diet? Yes, but you will have to spread your meals out. Drink cold water at 4 a.m. Wait 15 to 20 minutes and eat a big meal with the foods on that day's menu. Then at 7 p.m. when you can break your fast, drink another glass of cold water and wait 15 to 20 minutes. Eat another meal. Repeat through the evening, eating small meals until bedtime.
- Can I substitute store-bought low-calorie soup for the homemade soup? No, it is best if you make it yourself fresh for the day you will eat it.
- Can I eat less than the recommended amount? Yes, only if you feel satisfied with less food. Do not starve yourself. It will add an unwanted stress to your mind and when people get stressed they adopt bad eating habits, like more frequent meals and large portion sizes (1).
- Where is the soup recipe? Yes, soup recipe is on day four article but you can always add your own healthy ingredients to make it tastier. Just stay away from heavy oil drizzles and premixed store formulas. Bone broth can also be added to this soup, provided it’s homemade.
- So how does the diet work? High trans fat diets cause obesity and other health issues (2). Fat deposits under your skin make you grow in size and weight. To lose weight you need to cut back on fatty, high-calorie foods. Some so-called health experts recommend cutting down on all types of carbohydrates, which I believe is the big mistake. Not all carbohydrates are bad and this diet plan has plenty of carbs. When you cut down fats with carbs, you restrict yourself from almost al satisfying foods, which leads to starving, feeling stressed all the time, and not being able to carry out daily life activities. So to lose weight, you just need to limit your calorie intake or adopt a calorie-deficit diet.
- How do I keep weight off? Increase fruits and vegetables in your diet. You will end up eating fewer calories which is a key strategy for weight loss and maintenance.
- Why am I gaining weight? There are few factors that cause weight gain, but the top two on my list are poor food choices and very limited physical activity. Eat healthy, well-balanced food and stay active. Incorporate a light workout routine to keep your weight in check.
- Has anyone tried this yet? This is a tried and test method that I've recommended to many of my clients who were looking to lose weight fast for an upcoming social event.
- Will I be losing body fats? it is going to be a healthy combination of body fat and water weight.
- What food should I avoid after this 7-day diet plan? Food with high calorie count and low nutrient value should be avoided. Food with high sodium content should also be avoided. Avoid eating food that makes you gassy. Different people have a problem digesting a certain type of foods. You should identify foods that give to indigestion.
In addition to water, you're allowed to drink:
- Green tea: Contains polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidents (5,6)
- Coffee with or without milk
- Lemonade (recipe on the dedicated page for day three of this diet)
This question is a personal one and ultimately the answer depends upon your health and how you feel. Some things to consider are:
- Has you doctor recommended that you lose a few pounds for cardiovascular health?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Are you experiencing any joint pain as a result of carrying excess weight?
- Are you light-framed or heavy-framed and what is your height?
- What is your body-mass index (BMI)?
Height and Healthy Weight Chart for Women (Weight in Pounds)
|Height (Feet Inches)||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
Height and Healthy Weight Chart for Men (Weight in Pounds)
|Height||Small Frame||Medium Frame||Large Frame|
How to Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI)
Your BMI is a value derived from your body weight and height. It is a way of quantifying the amount of tissue mass (muscle, fat, and bone) in your body.
- To calculate your BMI, you will need to know your height (in meters or inches) and your weight (in kilograms or pounds). You will divide your weight by your height.
- Metric: BMI = Weight (Kg)/Height (m)2
- American: BMI = Weight (lb)/Height (inches)2 x 703
- 18.5 or under: Underweight
- 18.5-24.9: Normal
- 25-29.9: Overweight
- 30 or above: Obese
- Lose 10 Pounds in a Week: Day One
Let's get started! Day one is all about low-sugar fruit: apples, watermelon, and any kind of citrus. Nutritional information, workout video, and delicious weight-loss beverage recipes included.
Join Our Community!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Jennings.Fiona on August 05, 2020:
Everette 3965 rd
Anna W on May 31, 2020:
I have done this diet 4-5 in the last few years and it has worked every time! The first time, I lost 9lbs and each time after that I lost 7lbs. If you don't cheat and drink all the water recommended, you will feel better no matter what. My skin is glowing by Day 4 and it reminds me that I don't drink enough water on a regular basis. It gets tough on Day 3 and Day 6 but this where having a goal or an upcoming event is helpful. Even when I don't lose 10-15lbs that some might be able to, it's a great test for your self control and will power. I encourage everyone to try this at least twice before making a true judgement on their results.
Kimberly on October 12, 2019:
So I am diabetic, I started this diet last Thursday after running it by my Dr. on Wednesday. He gave the thumbs up. I had received my latest A1C and LDL test results that day. Since stopping my Metformin and Atorvastatin in December of 2017, my A1C went from 5.4 to 7.6 and my LDL from 59 to 189 and my weight was up from 250 to 271 so, clearly it's beyond the time I have to do something. Well it's back on the meds and started this diet. I have been monitoring my sugar levels several times a day because of all of the sugar in the fruit and I can tell you, I was worried the first day. I would check my sugar 1 hour after meals and it would be 159, 161, 179 but, then I noticed if I just waited to check it an extra hour later my levels dropped significantly to 139, 107, 118 etc. Today is the start of Day 4 and I just checked my sugar and it's at 94 so, it's doing what it is supposed to do. :) I did cook 2 hardboiled eggs on Day 3 for lunch just because I was feeling like I needed some protein. You know that feeling you get when your body is trying to fight off a cold? That's what it felt like which is probably just normal for a diet detox. My take is it's doing it's job (as long as I do mine). Day 1 was O.K. not easy but, manageable, Day two was pretty easy actually, Day 3 was pretty easy as well except for the "run-down" feeling. I have been looking forward to today for it's HUMP DAY!! I get milk and bananas!! My tips so far are: Make the Soup on Day 1 because you can eat the soup everyday. The recipe makes a lot so I portioned it out and froze it. When I wanted a bowl I just popped it in the microwave. Each time I would add a little different spice...one may be adding some Cumin for a Taco Soup flavor, another may be adding some turmeric and curry or some Italian Herbs. That way I didn't get bored with eating the same thing every time. On veggie days I would make them into a stir fry with just 1 TBS of olive oil. I'm not sure if you can use Soy Sauce so, I didn't. I don't like just plain baked potatoes so, I did sprinkle on some powdered butter.....like you add to pop-corn. It wasn't the same but, it gave that false sense of creaminess without the added fat. I don't know if I have lost any weight or not. I have not exercised at all. I'm assuming I would have to be losing something though because I'm definitely eating less of the bad carbs and fat and calories. My plan is to do the 7 days with 3 off days after where I just eat regular healthy meals that are high in protein and low in carbs and fat and then back on the 7 day plan. I'm hoping for a 20lb loss a month goal but, I'm not good at keeping long term goals so, that's why I chose the 7 day goal. I can stick with almost anything for 7 days. :)
klrichards on July 16, 2019:
Congrats to anyone who lost more than a few pounds on this plan. It did not work for me, and I followed it to the letter. I lost a total of 3 pounds. I did find that the recipes made way more food than I could eat in a day, so I ended up wasting a fair amount of food. I did not want to stuff myself past the point of feeling full. It's back to Keto for me!
Edward Happer MSc (author) on June 19, 2019:
The soup recipe is in day 4 articles. All links are available above.
23 ounces water
1 onion, cut into rings
2 green chiles
2 lettuce leaves
make sure you visit all 7 day articles,
RaNae Morningstar on June 18, 2019:
Where the soup recipe?
Ellie on May 21, 2019:
Is there a grocery list anywhere which features all the items necessary to follow this diet?
Mark Cochran on April 26, 2019:
Can nuts be substituted for any other food on this diet???
sizo on April 24, 2019:
I'm starting Monday next week . help with plain rice and amount, recipe to make the soup please
Ella on April 13, 2019:
Can I still go gym whilst on this diet plan?
Iman Zakharia on March 22, 2019:
I cant find vegetable supp recipe
Danielle on February 05, 2019:
What should i do to keep the weight off and for how long after the diet? Thanks
Shane O'Donnell on January 28, 2019:
Can I swap days to help sticking with the diet while travelling for work?
Gerryca on January 12, 2019:
I completed Day 1 of "Lose 10 pounds in a week". Followed it to the letter. Total calories about 550. By the end of the day I felt rather sick, was gaseous. The next morning I had put ON one pound.
I will try Day 2.
Derrick Sibisi on January 11, 2019:
I will follow this through effective today 12/01/19
Irene on January 02, 2019:
I started Day 1 on New Year's Day. Today is Day 2. It worked! I dropped 1.5 lbs!! On Day 1 I followed closely to the plan except that I ate a lot less than allowed. I'm a short person, and 1 apple, 1 orange and 1/4 pomegranate were all I needed for the day. I also drank 6 cups of water (my day was short; I got up at 2p). I did not have any hunger pangs nor was I tempted by other foods.
To be honest, I ate to my heart's content on NY's eve right up to midnight. It was my final "give in to food temptation" before the old year ended. As a result of overeating and drinking caffeinated drinks, I was up from the stroke of midnight on NY's day until 5 a.m. During that span, I read numerous articles on lifestyle changes and short term diet challenges. All that reading led me to this site, for which I'm so thankful.
I feel really good today, physically and mentally, for having taken the first step toward making better food and overall lifestyle choices. I plan/hope to stick to this plan for 7 days to jump start my transition toward eating healthy and living well.
Azar on January 01, 2019:
I'll do it next week and tell you what happened to me.
cross your fingers to me
Edward Happer MSc (author) on December 21, 2018:
Great to hear another success story. Don't forget to share with your friends.
Edward Happer MSc (author) on December 21, 2018:
Change of diet is tricky for diabetic patients. If you are taking any medication or insulin you'll have to adjust it with any type of diet change . Yes you can follow this diet plan but you'll have to monitor your blood sugar levels.
Edward Happer MSc (author) on December 21, 2018:
How did it go for you
Gertrude on December 15, 2018:
hi.. Can a diabetic patient follow this diet?
Colleen on December 08, 2018:
Carol from Georgia on November 23, 2018:
Right after Thanksgiving is a great time to do this! Shopping this afternoon, preparing to start tomorrow!!
Gai Dawson on November 11, 2018:
yusra on November 04, 2018:
i want to start this ..does it really work?
Edward Happer MSc (author) on October 25, 2018:
@Mayumi Sariputra oats are good but processed soups are not a good option. Go for homemade soups.
TB on October 20, 2018:
This diet ALWAYS works for me when I'm in a crunch for an event! I absolutely love it and it's so easy and do-able!
Mayumi Sariputra on October 18, 2018:
Can i substitute the soup with knor or maggie soup readymade soup or maybe oats because i cant find all the ingredients
marypatric from usa on September 30, 2018:
I think it is an awesome post for all health food eater.
Vasiti on September 28, 2018:
I tried this diet before...it works..i lost the 10kg weight and my skin really improved alot.. cleared up..also i felt light and fresh...tried it last year..will do it again...
Shardae on September 27, 2018:
Can I substitute watermelon for bananas? I am allergic to bananas
Beverly Drain on September 23, 2018:
I already lost 24Ibs since last year and I cut out all red meats bacon sasuages , deserts only cream and splendid in coffee I drimk 8 8 ounces of water daily. I walk 3 to 5 miles per day and I am 60 I take no meds just vitamins , and I get my wellness checkups yearly.
Jody Clark on September 11, 2018:
Can I workout on this diet plan?
ngamngams on September 07, 2018:
i want to exact time table of diet
Irene Burton on September 04, 2018:
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.
Saute until slightly tender.
Stir in garlic.
Pour in chicken broth.
Stir in tomatoes and cabbage.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat.
I also use this as the 7 day cabbage soup diet
email@example.com on September 03, 2018:
I have 10-15 pounds to lose & need help!
Edward Happer MSc (author) on August 20, 2018:
period irregularities were never reported while on this diet
Edward Happer MSc (author) on August 20, 2018:
Follow the day 4 article . All links are given above.
Phil on August 20, 2018:
Need soup recipe
eRIN newcomb on August 17, 2018:
Can I still do this while on my period?
MARWA Salem on August 15, 2018:
are olives allowed in vegetables day? and can I eat vegetables soup in day 2???
Shonda on August 14, 2018:
Can I substitute something for the bananas and tomatoes? I don't like either.
anya on August 08, 2018:
well i am on day 3 and already lost 4 pounds! i eat less than recommended because i simply can't eat so many fruits and veggies, but at the same time i am not hungry at all.
Fin from Barstow on July 29, 2018:
Well it looks like it might make a lot of sense. 7 pounds in one week sounds extreme, although sometimes my weight fluctuates daily.
I don't know if I could give up meat or filling foods and just drink water and eat air.....but it is a nice article.
Darlene on July 28, 2018:
I'm allergic to tomatoes, what can I substitute that will be similar enough to give the same results?
Mary on July 28, 2018:
What about dried fruits? are they allowed?
Mary on July 28, 2018:
Now I'm at day 1, I searched and understood that raisin and date are in the category of fruits. Are we allowed to eat some of them?
Jfhdjsoslmdjcn on July 26, 2018:
This is ok i guess?
Mrsjhangir on July 20, 2018:
I want to start anyone join???
Mike on July 10, 2018:
Can I eat frozen food? I know it mentions fresh but some of the vegetables are different to find "fresh" in my area.
mano on July 02, 2018:
can i drink milk on daily basis along with this diet plan? as i have to nurse my little one... plz help me out whether this plan works or not with this change
Harshita chouhan on June 25, 2018:
This is fabulous diet plan I hope that u bring more videos related to this. Thanks a lot.
Manal on June 19, 2018:
Can I substitute banana with other fruit ? I am allergic to banana
Rose on June 18, 2018:
Can I follow this diet while breast feeding??? I gain a lot of weight because I'm always hungry what should I do? Thanks
Stella Adamou on June 16, 2018:
Hi! Can we have avocado on day 1??
Craig on June 11, 2018:
I followed this religiously and exercised my tail off. Only lost 6 pounds.
Nana on June 09, 2018:
Can we use spices?
Deb on June 02, 2018:
what kind of dressing is allowed on the salads? and where is the soup recipe?
Mommy on May 31, 2018:
Can i follow this diet while breastfeeding?
Edward Happer MSc (author) on May 24, 2018:
lost of people and i am here to help
Kat0402 on May 22, 2018:
Anybody doing this now?
JANOO on May 20, 2018:
CAN I EAT MUSKMELON N WATERMELON?
Wendi on May 12, 2018:
Can you have any type of dressing on the salad of veggies?even just vinegar of some sort?
Chloe4444 on May 11, 2018:
I am just finishing day 4!! Feeling good, can see the weight dropping off already!
Feeling very healthy!! Looking at Foods so differently and realising how little care I look in eating the right foods prior!! Well on my way to 10pounds loss! Thank you!!
firstname.lastname@example.org on May 11, 2018:
ready. Need soup recipe?
Edward Happer MSc (author) on May 07, 2018:
Maintaining a healthy balanced diet will keep this weight off. Add a daily brisk walk of 30 mins to your daily routine.
Chinny on May 07, 2018:
Will my previous weight come back after I finish this diet? What can I do to maintain my weight after this?
Brenda on May 06, 2018:
What can I eat in place of the bananas
MaryBeth on May 02, 2018:
How do I know if I'm small, medium or large frame?
Juwan on May 01, 2018:
Can I eat mushrooms as vegetables?
Zeena on May 01, 2018:
I am on day 3 today, I ate some fava beans as part of vegetables is that ok??
Sophia Spencer on April 26, 2018:
i am going to do this diet
Edward Happer MSc (author) on April 12, 2018:
I am currently busy with my other projects and cannot reply to all comments. Most of the questions have already been answered in previous conversations.
jen56colloton on April 11, 2018:
Curious as to why the majority of the questions asked about the diet are not answered?
Richu on April 10, 2018:
Can I work out while taking the diet?
Nkechi Njoku on April 10, 2018:
My baby is 4 months can I do the diet please reply I need answer
Usha on April 10, 2018:
Successfully going thru second day with lot of veggies. Msg ur progress of my third day .....
jen56colloton on April 10, 2018:
What can be eaten instead of bananas on Day Four ?
Carrie on April 09, 2018:
I got to day two and developed and severe headache and nausea. This was terrible. I had to stop. I will never look at a cabbage salad again.
Jenni on April 08, 2018:
Starting my diet tomorrow!!! So excited
Usha on April 08, 2018:
Hi. I am planning to start this diet tomorrow wish me good luck
Kay on April 07, 2018:
Hi. Is peanut butter fattening or good for dieting?
Lisha on March 23, 2018:
I really do not like bananas, can I substitute it for anything else?
Edward Happer MSc (author) on March 21, 2018:
yes you can take sweetener with your coffee
Mary Ann on March 21, 2018:
Bananas make me gag. Can I substitute another fruit?
Tanz on March 20, 2018:
Hey my day 3 today .. very low energy but trying to stick to the diet .. will keep u guys posted
Mickogee on March 20, 2018:
Can you have a sweetner with your coffee?
Omar on March 18, 2018:
Can i use my whey protein during this diet plan?
Keppe on March 12, 2018:
Karla, are you done with the week? How did it go overall?
I'm starting tomorrow.
Karla on March 07, 2018:
I am on the 3rd day and have lost 4 lbs already. I have been doing 30 minutes of fast walking each day with it. I feel great. When you cut out the processed junk, the weight comes off!
Andrea on March 05, 2018:
Where can I find soup recipe ?
Char on March 04, 2018:
Can I use boiled soup,I don’t like salad
Edward Happer MSc (author) on February 26, 2018:
yes eat sweet potato with vegetables
celia turakira on February 23, 2018:
can I continue with my exercise program me while on this seven diet plan?
Debra Boynton on February 22, 2018:
Can I have sweet potato
David on February 21, 2018:
Does this even work, 1-2 pounds a day dosent sound right?
Jinie on February 18, 2018:
Can i eat Oats duaring this?
Heather on February 17, 2018:
Any good recommendations to substitute watermelon or any melons for that matter. I can't stand melon.
MAriela on February 15, 2018:
On day 4 I got constipation,
I just have 6 bananas
Joiee on February 15, 2018:
Hello, doing this and need the veggie soup recipe please.