5 Easy Ways to Cure Lactose Intolerance
What Is Lactose Intolerance?
Basically, lactose intolerance is the inability to digest the sugar in milk, lactose. The cause is the shortage of enzyme that uses to digest lactose, lactase, which is normally produced in the small intestine. When the body cannot digest dairy products, depends on the amount of lactose consumed, this may result mild to severe symptoms including gas, cramps, abdominal pain, bloating, loose stool or diarrhea and vomiting.
The symptoms tend to occur from 15 minutes to two hours after eating or drinking food that contains lactose. The severity of symptoms may vary from person to person. Some people can digest or tolerate some amount of lactose. This may be called maldigestion of lactose. ( Partly digestible ) Some people cannot digest lactose at all. Treatments will be decided upon each person's condition. The factors include ages (People tend to become lactose intolerant during age 30-40), genetics (where diets are low in lactose intake for generations) and such.
Dairy products play an important role in our diet. Avoiding dairy products may be the hardest thing to do if dairy product is the major part of your diet. Here are ways to help you treat lactose intolerance.
1. Lactase Supplements: Temporary Aids
, as the name implies, are pills or drops that contain lactase that helps the body break down dairy products. You consume the supplement before you have a dairy product, and it is supposed to help digest the food that you consume. This can be used as a temporary aid because some people have found out that their body become immune to the supplement overtime when consume it often. It may not be a permanent choice for you to take pills every time if you need to have dairy products everyday. The pills are inexpensive and come under many different brands. The well known brand is Lactaid. Besides from pills, lactase can come in drops form that you can add into milk before you drink it. Follow the instructions that come with the product. Lactase supplements
2. Lactagen: Supplement Program
Lactagen is a supplement program that promises the result that you can have dairy products once again without having to worry about taking pills or drops any longer. The program is designed to be taken over a 38-day period. Reports from thousands of customers on their website are very positive. The product seems to really help sufferers be able to enjoy dairy products again freely.
3. Lactose-Free Products
There are many kinds of lactose-free products available in the supermarkets now. Try shopping at the dairy section tonight and see what's available for you. Now the products such as milk, cheese, ice cream, cream cheese and creamers are available in many supermarkets . Visit the site below for more information about lactose-free product in Lactaid brand. There are many other brands that produce lactose free products such as:
Milk: Most grocery stores have their own lactose free milk brand. The well known brand is Lactaid.
Cheese: Mozzarella lactose free string cheese.
Ice Cream: You can find many flavors of Lactose-Free ice creams in your grocery stores. Example is Breyer's Lactose-free ice cream.
Cream Cheese: Tofutti brand makes a lactose free cream cheese.
How Lactose-Free Milk Is Made
4. Home Remedies for Lactose Intolerance.
These methods may work for people who have slightly intolerance to lactose.
- If you have minor troubles when you eat or drink dairy, you may be able to increase your tolerance to dairy product by drinking a little milk everyday and increase the amount gradually over time.
- Try to have a small (very small) glass of milk with some cookies or drink flavored milk to ease the digestion.
- Milk with higher fat content is more easily digested. Whole milk might be a better choice than low fat or skim milk.
- When looking for cheese, look for hard cheeses instead of soft ones as it contains more lactose.
- Most people with lactose intolerance can digest partially digested milk products that contain live bacterial cultures. Yogurt is often easy to eat provided it contains live cultures since these deplete the amount of lactoses in milk. It can help your digestions with dairy products. Try to eat yogurt 10-15 minutes before you have dairy products and see ifyou still have some symptoms.
- Finally, to ease the discomfort, a cup of camomile tea may help. Chamomile contains tannins, which help to temporarily constrict the intestinal tract, reducing spasms and pain. It can help to neutralize gas and reduce bloating, which is the common symptoms from lactose intolerance.
- Consume dairy products with food. Many people find that the symptoms of lactose intolerance are eased or erased completely when they eat at the time they consume milk, cheese or other dairy products.
5. Go Dairy-Free
This will be the last choice for dairy lovers because nothing can replace the taste of dairy products. If you have decided that you don't really need to have much of diary products in your diet, then taking lactase pills once in a while would be a choice when you want to enjoy some dairy products. There are many soy-based products that you can use for a dairy-free diet.