How to Create a Workout Template in BodySpace
If you're new to the world of fitness, or if you just need a little more motivation or help with your workout routine, one of the best websites I've found is bodybuilding.com.
Now, I'm not a fitness model. Far from it! And I'm not a gym rat. Who has time for that? I'm a mom of two who works from home and has a lot on my plate.
But, I do make the time to workout at least three days a week. My biggest problem is that I get bored very easily. I've bought countless fitness VHS (yes, I'm dating myself) and DVD's. I've paid for gym memberships that I've never, or rarely used. And I've given up more times than I can count.
I've been a fan of bodybuilder.com for years. I've purchased supplements and pre-workout drinks from them in the past, but it wasn't until about three months ago that I signed up for their BodySpace section.
BodySpace and Finding New Routines
What is BodySpace? Well, to put it simply, it's an online workout and nutrition tracking page. They have a large library of workout exercises that can be easily sorted. For example, you can sort them by muscle group or equipment needed to do any exercise.
Because I easily become bored with a routine and start to lose interest in working out, this was the best thing I could ever happen upon. You can also find other members, like yourself, who can help to motivate you.
My biggest struggle with the site, though, was figuring out how to create a "template," or workout routine, that I could save and refer back to on a regular basis.
I'm pretty good at navigating the Web, but occasionally I'll run across a site that seems to have some of the more important tools or steps (in my opinion) tucked away a little too far out of sight.
I searched their site forums, to no avail. I even scoured the Internet. Most of the answers I got were related to the app, not the website itself. So, after quite some time, I finally figured it out for myself.
For those of you who have mastered this site and have no problem finding this little gem, I applaud you; you're a better navigator than I. However, if you've had this problem, I'm here to help. Simply go to bodybuilding.com and follow the step-by-step instructions below.
1. Click on the Login / Join Tab
This will bring up a secondary menu, directly below the tab you just clicked.
Click "Track" to begin.
2. Select "Track Now"
3. Select "Build As You Go"
4. Enter Date and Start Time
5. Select Your Level of Energy for That Day
6. Enter Your Current Weight
- If you want to use BodySpace to track your weight loss or gain, depending on your fitness goals, you may enter your current weight here, then select "Next."
- If you choose to not enter your weight, for whatever reason, select "Skip."
7. Start Adding Exercises
OK, here's the large library of exercises I was talking about. I know, I know, it's a little overwhelming. OK, it can be extremely overwhelming.
Here are ways you can narrow down your search:
- Start with a body part. What muscle do you want to work out today?
- What equipment will you be using?
Now you can see the exercises within the library that will work the muscles you want, with the equipment you have.
Simply scroll through to find an exercise. The two little thumbnails are a handy little helper to show you how to perform each one. If the pictures aren't quite clear enough, simply click on the picture and watch a short video of the exercise being performed.
8. Select the Exercise You Want to Add to Your Workout
9. Enter the Number of Sets You Will Be Doing for This Exercise
Enter the number of reps you complete for each set of this exercise.
10. To Add More Exercises, Click "Add Exercise"
Repeat steps 8-10 until you've chosen all of the exercises you'd like to do during your next workout.
11. Enter Exercises and Select "I'm Finished With This Workout"
12. Enter the Time You Finished Your Workout
13. How Would You Rate Your Workout Performance
14. Select "Save As Template"
15. Enter Your Template Information
Here is where you get to name the template you just created.
Because workout templates created by members of BodySpace are made public, any information you enter will help others who may be looking for a workout, like the one you just created, but don't have the time, patience, or know-how to create a template of their own.
When you're done, click "Review Exercises."
16. Review Your Exercises and Click "Done Adding Exercises"
17. Enter Additional Information That May Be Helpful to Others
Your template is now saved and can be easily found under the "Workout Templates" tab on the left menu bar.