5 Tips to Trim Your Fat Now

In principle, losing fat is incredibly simple. However in practice, it proves to be quite the challenge for the majority of people. More often than not, people quit because they don't see the fat loss in the places they want. Unfortunately, it is impossible to control where you lose fat on your body. Fat is lost over your the entire body depending on nutrient requirements. Hopefully the following tips will give you the edge you need to reach your fat loss goals.

Burn More Calories

I'm not talking about taking the stairs instead of the elevator. You need to dedicate at least 30 minutes three (preferably more) times a week to exercise. If you want to lose belly fat, you're going to have to work for it. Once you start becoming active, whether it be hiking, jogging, sprinting, or lifting weights, your entire body will feel better. Increased exercise is also linked to better mental health and increased memory.

Running is Great Exercise!


Calories burned during various activities for a ~ 150 lb man

Time (minutes)
Calories Burned (approx.)
Weight lifting (Vigorous)
Weight lifting (light)
Rowing machine (moderate)
Stair stepper
Running (10 min/miles)

Eat Fewer Carbs

Carbs are delicious, Everyone loves carbs but our body doesn't really need as many as you think. Think back to our ancestors, most of their carbs came from fruits, vegetables and any nuts or grains they could find. Simply put, they didn't eat a lot of carbs and they had rockin' bods because of it. We really only need carbs around the times that we do heavy exercise, namely before and after. Try to reduce your carbohydrate intake by 50%, while increasing your protein and fats. I guarantee you'll notice a difference in the way you look in 1-2 weeks.

So Tempting...


Carb Question!

How many grams of carbs do you eat on the average day?

  • 0 grams - 50 grams
  • 51 grams - 100 grams
  • 101 grams - 150 grams
  • 151 grams - 200 grams
  • 200 + grams
See results without voting

It's Not a Diet, It's a Lifestyle

Most people fail to realize that "dieting" in the traditional sense doesn't work. You have to make lifestyle changes or the fat will just come right back. The best route is to make changes slowly, start by cutting out soft drinks, three weeks later cut out candy, etc.. It's best to wait about three weeks before making another change as it takes about 21 days to make a habit. These lifestyle changes don't need to be extreme either, just cut out the things you know you shouldn't be eating. Personally, I believe that the body reflects what we do 90% of the time. So if you eat healthy 90% of the time and don't go overboard the other 10%, you're golden.

Lift Weights to Lose Fat

Strength training will not only help you gain muscle, improve bone density, relieve stress, but it will also help your body preserve the muscle you already have. This is incredibly important during a caloric deficit, such as when trying to lose body fat because the body needs a surplus of calories to synthesize new muscle tissue. Muscle helps keep your metabolism high, so the more muscle you keep, the higher your metabolism will stay.

Strength Training Revs Up your Metabolism!


I Think I Can, I Think I Can!

I know it sounds cheesy, but don't ever underestimate the power of positive thinking. Believers are achievers! No matter how disciplined, motivated or dedicated you are, there will be a time when you experience a set back. Regardless of what it is, you need to have a positive outlook and keep moving forward with your fitness goals.

Bringing it all Together

I know these tips seem like common sense, but in my humble opinion, the essentials are the most vital. If you are serious about losing your belly fat, then implement these tips slowly over time. Give it your all, you deserve your best self.

No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article