It's Only Tough Love
Hi, I'm an overweight guy. And being fat sucks. It sucks a lot. Those who are fat understand, and those who are not are lucky that they don't have to. There is literally nothing good about being overweight, and it's pretty much the only thing keeping me from complete happiness.
I've been overweight since birth so I don't know what it's like to be "skinny." But this year I've decided I need to do something about it.
I've tried to lose some weight in the past, but there is a lack of motivation in me to continue. So I've prepared this list to remind me why I'm making the effort. The list will consist of things that I have to experience in life due to being overweight. No, I'm not being hard on myself, I'm not insulting myself or other fat people, but this is the only way I can find some motivation...to know why being overweight is bad.
Take a look, so you can understand how being fat affects my life and know why people should be losing weight. And if you're not overweight, good job.
Don't ever be.
To Be Fat is a Terrible Thing
Effects of Being Overweight:
1. Lack of confidence.
2. Higher risk of heart disease.
3. Well, higher risk of.. death.
4. Makes you snore a bit.
5. When someone in the group farts, they will assume it's the fat one.
6. Gym is hell.
7. You aren't decent at almost any physical activity.
8. You are useless for sports, except for football. Barely.
9. You feel weird in Science class when they mention overweight issues.
10. Some clothes you would like to wear won't look good on you, so you can't wear them.
11. You will never look good. Even when you think you look good, you don't.
12. People will never find you attractive.
13. It's much harder to get into a relationship with a person you like.
14. You get made fun of. ALWAYS.
15. It's harder to make friends. People have a thing for fat people, I say this in a bad way.
16. Harder to get laid.
17. You want to eat a lot, and you NEED to eat a lot. Big boy = Big stomach.
18. The wind is not a friend. It'll show your fat!
19. Constant assurance that no one sees your fat, ever.
20. You will be paranoid, of how you look, what you do, how you do them.
21. Shirt stays on at the beach and pool.
22. You might even avoid the beach and pool.
23. Knowing people are lying when they say you're beautiful or sexy.
24. Exposing your stomach is like exposing your private parts.
25. When you eat bad foods, you feel bad after. You know you shouldn't be eating this!
26. You have to avoid showing the double chin. Whether its in pictures, videos or in person.
27. You will be known as "the fat kid" for some times. People will refer you to that at times.
28. You feel heavy.
29. Running is a challenge.
30. Your fat jiggles when you do run.
31. You HATE weighing yourself.
32. You'll lie about your weight at some point.
33. Urge to feel upset when skinny people say they're fat.
34. Feel discouraged when you realize "looks matters".
35. You don't want to have to say you wear an X-Large shirt. Or your 36+ waist size.
36. A fat guitar player looks weird.
37. So does a fat drummer.
38. Fat musicians look weird ok?
39. Don't want to "Like" people's "like for rate" on Facebook.
40. You are not flexible AT ALL.
41. Family will give you nicknames having to do with being big or fat. "Oh hi, my big bear!"
42. Pull-ups are actually impossible.
43. A buff fat guy looks weird. You'll have to lose the weight first, before building some serious muscle.
44. Can someone say, High blood pressure?
45. Type 2 Diabetes will be the guy that REALLY wants to be close to you.. very high risk.
46. Sitting criss-cross applesauce is rough. Just rough.
47. You give Europeans more of a reason to call Americans fat.
48. Muffin Top.
49. Higher risk of strokes.
50. and gallbladder disease.
51. and high cholesterol.
52. and sleep apnea.
53. and Arthritis.
54. Oh and cancer. Cancer.
55. Did I mention heart attacks?
56. You can never borrow your friends' clothes for any reason, they will most likely end up being too small.
57. Cool clothes don't look good on fat people.
58. You might actually be exceeding a weight limit for something. Like a beach chair, support board, etc.
59. You move vehicles when you enter them.
60. No one should ever touch you. You don't want them touching your fat!
61. There is no hope for a relationship or hook-up with a person you'd want. It just won't happen.
62. Because NOBODY is interested in fat people. For the most part.
63. People will always assume that you want the leftovers of any food.
64. It takes a very long time to lose a desired amount of weight.
65. When you're seriously overweight, 10 pounds is just not enough. Small amounts of weight means nothing when you're fat.
66. Abs is just a dream.
67. You sometimes may want to lower your standards if you have no luck with the people you actually like.
68. You can't jump.
69. Nobody wants you in their sports team.
70. Aside from football being the only sport you're useful for, You're only good for Offensive or Defensive Line.
71. You look hilarious in tights.
72. Don't really enjoy exercising in public.
73. People won't really notice when you lose some weight. You'll still look fat for a long time.
74. The process to weight loss is like a damn journey. It takes forever and is so hard.
75. You get jealous of your better looking friends or family members, or anyone really that is normal weight.
76. You start to think, "He/She is definitely out of my league".
77. Fat jokes secretly hurt you, no matter what. And they will always come.
78. Skinny jeans? HA.
79. There's also a higher risk for Osteoarthritis.
80. Man boobs! A fat guy might have bigger boobs than a skinny girl! That's just awkward.
81. Speaking of man boobs.. Your friends will "scoop" you, mess with the man boobs. SO ANNOYING.
82. You can't fit through certain things your skinnier people might fit through. Like a hole to go to the other side of something.
83. A tshirt that may have been shrunk a bit in the dryer may no longer be good to use.
84. You might be left out when your manly friends are talking about building muscle working out at the gym.. you're just kind of there.
85. Your friends might actually not believe you go to the gym!
86. Even your own family will make fun of your weight!
87. Bending down for a while gets tiring.
88. Your fat jiggles on bumpy rides.
89. Seat belts expose a bit more fat.
90. It's tough to find perfect fitting clothes.
91. Fat people have more oil, including on their faces, so that might even mean more acne!
92. Fat people in winter clothing look EXTRA fat.
93. Your weight always bothers you.
94. You always wish you were skinnier.
95. You wish you were someone else, a skinner person.
96. You might even depressed over how you look.
97. You might think less of yourself.
98. Maybe others will think less of you.
99. You know you shouldn't be like this.
100. So you get upset and sad that you are overweight.
101. And you'll never be completely happy until you lose the weight.
You have to take everything into consideration; The big things, and the small things. Being overweight affects your whole life, it affects what you do, how you do them, what you think, and who you are. You lose self esteem and confidence, you are unhealthy, and it puts a lot of limits on what you can do in your life. Being fat makes a huge impact on your life, a completely negative one. There is nothing good in being overweight, so if you are not overweight, make sure you do your best to not be, because you won't want to be fat. And those of us who are overweight, seriously try to lose the weight, I'm sure life is so much better when you are just normal weight. I've started to lose some weight, and I will look back to this as a reminder on why I'm making the effort. You should too!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Comments and Feedback - Leave a comment!
Nick on November 08, 2019:
I like to be fat! Someone's opinions not bothering me. My body is beautiful, soft and turns me on!
TabyCat on September 25, 2019:
I FREAKING LOVE THIS!! OMG I laughed SOO hard!
ybu on January 29, 2019:
hi. i wasnt born overweight, but ive never been truly skinny either. my dad is skinny, but for some reason never gains weight. when i was barely a year old, he gave me un healthy stuff that my mom wouldnt. she wasnt THAT overweight, but now she is. my father set me up to be overweight and now tells me i need to be healthy. it sucks big time because i put myself down for that. i want to go to the gym, but im not old enough to go by myself so my mom has to take me. she wants us to walk around the neighborhood first, but its freaking cold outside and i feel like i would get hypothermia. omg. we had a treadmill and i was using that until out of no where she just sells it!!!! i love my mom but i dont love this weight. i just want to become a normal weight, not begging to be super skinny but i hate the weight i am now. im gonna be real honest with ya, chief. i weigh 240 pounds going 245 pounds. i. am. disappointed. with. myself. i am 5'5 or 5'6 and if i try to eat healthy or eat less, my family comes back with something to ruin that. i just want to make myself proud, and i cant do that because im not. im truly not.
Dude on November 25, 2018:
This is how you feel about YOURSELF. Plenty of fat people are none of these. Especially the flexible part. I’m flewixble af. Just stretch every day bit by bit. You need to love yourself and find passion in other things or our going to stay right at that miserable weight you hate so much. It will make you critical of others once you shed the weight so you need to love yourself, mang. Chill out.
- a fat ass woman
justin on September 24, 2018:
bruh im 5 ft 5 inch and 135 pounds
Secret on June 06, 2018:
I’m 4ft 6in and I weigh 118lbs that’s just sad and now I’m depressed.
Ava Biangini on April 21, 2018:
At this point, I really don't care and you shouldn't either! I haven't even met you and I know that you are 100% amazing. I get what you are feeling, I am 12, 5 foot 4, and 140 lbs
F on March 10, 2018:
All i want is a new life. A life without appetite or food. A life without being me. But i cant just end this as long as my mother is alive because she Loves the overweight, ugly and shameful mess that is me. I might wont even get to end it after she passes away because my weight hopefully kills me early. I just have come to learn that you dont want to live when youre fat. You just Shouldnt. Youre ugly and useless. Im praying to die and startover but im trapped in this fat hell of a life that i cant get out of. Take me away and give me a life that i can enjoy.
Twngdn on January 13, 2018:
I cried cause I know the pain. It sucks. Everyday is like a mission to make it through those people. Sometimes I hate myself. Life is 10times harder than normal people's. And on that I have no friends to talk to. So always lonely. My life is just for the sake of my family. Sometimes I wish I should b dead. But then I think of my mum and adds another layer of stress.
Anonymous say on October 24, 2017:
My best friend is overweight and idc!
Barb goodwin on September 24, 2017:
You are a sweetheart.
Luna on August 19, 2017:
I never used to be fat, I've gained so much over the past three years I'm a completely different person.
Ironically the bigger you are the more invisible you become to the world. At work your opinions are no longer valid, you are only important if a "college" needs you to cover their shifts. At home you become a bore that doesn't want to do anything anymore because your so embarrassed to go out. Family start to talk down to you as if your brain dead, and they know so much better then you despite the fact they are younger then you. Friends/ family will give you "advice" masquerading as a concerns about your health despite their unhealthy life style choices like smoking and drinking.
I just hate myself at the moment it's awful. I've tried everything I've juice fasted for two months, slim fast etc. I loose it and but straight back, I know it's lifestyle choices not fad dieting but I just get so disheartened if people don't notice.
I've got a messed up head
Martin Garrix on July 30, 2017:
Hope it works out for you brother im same way aswell & its definately kept me back from almost all the unique things i wanted to do in life and i want to loose it aswell. Good luck
Sfsx on July 15, 2017:
I don't eat at all I drink lots of water and run every for 1 hour I'm still fat
Hailey on June 27, 2017:
I'm sorry you have to go through this, but you will reach you wight goal. DONT GIVE UP! Much love❤️
Anon on June 03, 2017:
Great list! Makes us realise the ugly truth. Good luck!
Some Random Dude on May 16, 2017:
Just asking, if I'm 16 and weigh 265 (I'm also 6'2), would y'all say that's fat? I just want someone to say it to my face, because it does't help me when I am asking somebody (parents) and they always act like I aint.
Megan on February 24, 2017:
I'm fat and these things make me amgry because I'm a musician and fat musicians don't look weird and I found all of these rude
Dani on January 31, 2017:
I hope to be skinny some day; it will take a lot of work.
Joey on January 08, 2017:
Great list. Very helpful. I'm going to try the scientific approach. Describe an image of the desirable future self and hang it on the fridge. http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/01/to-change-you...
mya on November 27, 2016:
hay look no one is suppose to look alike not me or you so just because your gain on some extra weight don't mean s thing if someone loves you they'll love you no matter what you look like either fat skinny rich poor you are who you are a another thing skinny people don't matter its what matters to you and you know what I really do like being fat and if no one likes it ow well because I'm not changing for you do it for yourself. If you love you and you feel good about yourself then be fat then be skinny but don't let an little extra weigh pull you down the only time it should if your not able to get up or you cannot breath then but until that time let it be as it may be
Qonnie on November 24, 2016:
Am also fat weighing around 83kgs and am in highschool.it really hurts when i see all my friends with handsome dudes going out for parties etc.i'd really like to have a Boyfriend and enjoy life like they do.being fat hurts and it sucks
Anon on September 18, 2016:
I totally relate to absolutely everything on this list, you have no idea. You said it better than anyone could've.
Sami H. on August 24, 2016:
I have been a fat person more than half of my life (about 135kg), until i fell in love with one of the hottest girls in my high school, it was a dream talking to her until i had the balls to do so and of course she rejected me but still she was nice, couple days later i knew she said to one of her friends (imagine Sam invited me out HA!) it hurts me so bad it broke my heart, i remember that night i couldn't sleep starring at myself. Next day i started studying the human body and nutrition/exercise how everything is related. Fuck diets people were giving me advise on what to eat salads and etc but fuck that, if you were fat like me, STOP eating man its the only way. Calories are what counts when you stop eating your body eats itself then i introduced gym and man that was and extra, i'm now ripped with 6 abs and bench more than my weight. Exercise is a lifestyle and food is a friend of mine. I used to go through days fasting not a single calorie knowing that my body is breaking down fat was enough for me to keep going. remembering that night now makes me happy, I'm friends with that girl now deep down i like her in a way, her comment broke my heart years ago but i needed it because of her now people ask me of advise how to get better in shape. You need motivation and commitment it can happen man it took me one year of hell but it was worth every damn second. Plus the girl i was talking about brags about how i wanted to go out with her when we were in school. if it's easy your eating too much or doing something wrong. it should be hell until you see yourself in a mirror one day and feel the best feeling you might ever feel in your whole damn life.
Note. if you are obese like i was, cheat meals are once in a 2 month or never, don't listen to those steady diets and eat 2000-2500 calorie a day fuck that. your body can feed a village you will live trust me stop eating and drink water.
Hope i helped!
KK on August 14, 2016:
Hell im fat and proud of it cheer up man and embrace it think on the light side I'm most likely hitting 6 foot 4 and 370 to 400 pounds but that's ok hell im planing to wrestle when I'm older we have a use we are strong tough and generally positive and accepted now days people who fat shame should go to hell we are human too don't worry stay strong I believe you can
Julie on July 23, 2016:
Great list. Now, as a woman I can say being overweight is logarithmically worse, yes, as in to the power of 10 times worse. Never stopped to think men cared about being overweight. Shallow of me, I know, but with the intense and unrelenting pressure on me as a woman to be thin no matter the cost, I guess I have been too focused on how being fat sucks for women to consider it from a man's viewpoint. Thanks for putting this out there.
Now I need to go run my daily ten miles and make my kale smoothie. Not kidding. It's so much work to not be fat.
Wow on July 18, 2016:
I've been overweight my entire life. People have always put me down, parents, relatives, teachers, coworkers. I'm not extremely obese but I am fat. When I started highschool I decided that I wasn't gonna let my weight keep me from being happy. I ended up being very popular, had a really handsome highschool sweetheart and a lot of friends. I have always dated and worn trendy clothes, gone out to clubs etc. Of course there were times when I felt like the fat girl but I can't let that ruin my life! I would rather be fat than be a depressed bitch! Anyway, I'm now married to an amazing guy and can you believe it? I was the first to get married out of all my friends.
The point is, your negativity is not helping you. Honestly getting through your list was really hard, it made me really sad. I think you project that energy and ppl don't wanna be around you. You should seek some help. You can lead a beautiful life regardless of the number on a scale.
Oh and ps I always watch what I eat I'm not lazy. My eplilesy drugs make it hard to control weight, before ppl chime in with comments and judgements.
I love myself. Not all the time. But my man loves me, that's all I realy care about.
Mike on March 22, 2016:
I've gained 130 lbs in 6 years. I am certainly a fat guy now. Weighing in at 315. Your 100 reasons are easy to figure out your bitter. I get most of this stuff. But a lot of it , your just saying the same stuff.
Words of advice. Eat what you want. And be as active as you possibly can. Every workout or walk or hike or whatever you do will make you feel motivated
anon on October 07, 2015:
my friends always compliment me but I really hate it because I know they are lying
anon on January 24, 2015:
I hate myself.
anonymous on May 08, 2013:
I do martial arts and I'm the worst student in the entire school simply because I'm so fat my belly and fat legs get in the way of proper technique. It sucks!!!!
anonymous on April 27, 2013:
i really liked your list. i'm a fat person myself and there's a whole bunch of things in the list all fat people can relate to.but seriously stop being so hard on yourself. there are lots of skinny people that just wish they could gain some weight so we all are on the same level on this one
anonymous on October 07, 2012:
Sorry but I'm extremely fat and I don't feel HALF the things on this list! Sure some stuff but cheer up guy! Its ridiculous to feel like this! Get on with your life and.. take some anti-D's :/
anonymous on October 03, 2012:
your a negative person i feel sorry for whoever wrote this no wonder u don't try to change but don't put others down bye
anonymous on September 13, 2012:
I liked your list. I can attest to a lot of things. However, I think you're being way too hard on yourself. One thing I notice if someone is really big is that if they are confident enough, all of a sudden nothing really matters. The way I look at that person is completely different.
Also when I was really fat I got a couple of hot chicks. I know confidence and swag can take you pretty far sometimes. Try not to think of yourself as inferior.
As far as weight loss, yeah it should be done for health. If your confidence and self esteem come along with it, then great. I know what it's like to be really big, I lost 40 to 45 lbs, and I'm still working out daily and my diet has changed. It wasn't easy. Nothing ever is, but I had high blood pressure at an early age. If you're young try not to let this happen to you too. Do it for your health, and kill your number 1 reason. If you're not confident in yourself, why the hell should anyone else be?
anonymous on August 07, 2012:
yes fat is very bad..
StefanoH (author) on August 25, 2011:
@anonymous: I do, Ive taken action and started losing weight already. But thanks anyway. I'm glad you don't have a problem with your weight.
anonymous on August 23, 2011:
I'm a pretty skinny person, and I often complain about being too skinny... I get self-conscious that my ribs are visible, and that I'm not much of a cushion, 'cus let's be honest: everybody loves to hug/take a nap on a fat person. but I guess reading this list made me realize I'm pretty fortunate regardless. Good luck losing weight, dude.. you can do it. :)