Health Benefits of Soaking Almonds in Water Before Eating
Table of Contents
Why It Is Better To Soak almonds In Water Before Consuming?
Uses Of Almonds
Nutrients In Almonds
Nutrient Levels In Almonds
Health Benefits Of Almonds
Specific Uses Of Almonds In Some Health Conditions
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime or practice.
This article is for health information purposes only.
- Almonds are the fruits of the tree, Prunus dulcis.
- The fruit is composed of an outer fleshy and somewhat juicy. Almonds have a leathery covering, enclosing a hard shell that contains the seed. It is this seed that is called almond which is consumed in a variety of ways.
- Almonds probably originated in the Western Asia and North Africa. California is the largest producer of almonds.
- Almonds are both sweet and bitter. Sweet almonds are eaten while the bitter almonds are used to extract oil. They are bitter due to their hydrocyanic acid content. This is, however, removed during the oil manufacturing process.
- Botanically, it is a drupe and not a true nut.
- Any kernel or seed that is consumable but is enclosed by a hard covering, is called a nut.
Why it Is Better to Soak Almonds in Water Before Consuming?
- Dry almonds contain an enzyme inhibitor in the skin which is basically meant to protect the seed till it gets moisture for germination. Once the almonds are soaked in water this enzyme inhibitor is released.
- Eating pre-soaked almonds makes them easier to digest and also makes more nutrients available for digestion. In fact, most nuts and seeds are easier to digest and have better nutrient availability when soaked overnight before consumption.
- Soaking also makes for easier chewing by children or the aged who have difficulty chewing hard foods.
- A word about sprouting almonds would not be out of context here.
Almonds can be sprouted to make them healthier for the body. Apart from making it easier to digest, it increases the nutrient density and most importantly, is the only way to release the enzyme lipase which aids in the digestion of fats.
Uses of Almonds
- Almonds can be eaten on their own or added as a garnishing for a variety of dishes. They can be eaten raw, fried, baked, salted, blanched or after soaking in water overnight and removing the skin before consumption. Soaking of almonds increases their nutrient availability and absorption.
- They are also used in the preparation of desserts, ice creams, cakes, cookies, sweets etc. Almond butter, almond milk, almond flour and almond meal are other very nutritional products produced from them.
- Almond oil is used ,as a massage oil, hair oil, or a carrier oil, in the pharmaceutical industry & in the production of aromatic oils.
Nutrients in Almonds
- A rich source of dietary fiber, B-Complex vitamins, minerals calcium, potassium, manganese, iron ,zinc, magnesium and selenium and phytochemicals.
- Rich in the mono unsaturated fatty acids like oleic acid & palmitoleic acids.
- Extremely rich in the antioxidant Vitamin E.
- Free from gluten.
About 20 nuts provide 12% of the daily protein needed and 35% of daily Vitamin E requirements. Also, they contain more magnesium than is available in oats or spinach while the calcium content is comparable to that in a cup of milk.
There are 80 calories in 12 almonds which can be burned by (for a body wight of 150 Lbs):
- Running for 5 minutes at 8mph.
- Playing table tennis for 18 minutes.
- Doing vigorous sit ups for 9 minutes.
- Dancing for 16 minutes.
Nutritional Value of Almonds per 100 g
(Source: USDA National Nutrient data base)
Percentage of RDA
Percentage of RDA
Specific Uses of Almonds in Some Health Problems
- Soak 5 almonds in water at night. In the morning remove the skins, add 7 cardamons and candy sugar to taste to them. Grind all this to a powder and stir in a glass of water. Take this 2 times daily for relief.
- Soak one almond and one dry date in water at night. In the morning grind them and eat with butter and some candy sugar. Take this for 3 months for relief of abnormally light periods.
- Soak 10 almonds in water at night. Remove the skins in the morning. Add 2 tsp of butter and some candy sugar. Take for about 2 months. It sharpens the memory and eliminates brain weakness.
- Take 10 gms each of fennel seeds and candy sugar. Add 7 almonds. Grind all and take with hot milk at night for 40 days. It sharpens the memory, removes brain weakness and sharpens the vision. However — do not drink water at night during this period.
- To 500 ml milk add 10 almonds ground finely. Boil milk & bring to boil 3 times. Cool the milk add sugar and drink. At night, take with cool water, 1 tsp of a mixture of equal quantities of ground almonds and ground fennel seeds.
Take both daily.
This relieves headaches too.
- Grind 5 previously soaked almonds. Stir this in a glass of water and drink. It heals the pox eruptions faster.
Cleaner Teeth and Dental Diseases
- Burn some almond skins to form ash. Mix 5 parts of this ash with 1 part of alum. Grind this. Brush the teeth with this mixture for cleaner teeth and relief in dental diseases.
- Infrequent coughs where there is difficulty in expelling mucus, take 5 almonds that have been previously soaked. Remove their skin. Add equal quantity of candy sugar and grind. Lick this paste, twice a day for relief.
- Grind 12 almonds that have been previously soaked in water overnight. Mix with 30 gms butter. Eat for few months.
- Grind 10 almonds and 10 peppercorns. Add candy sugar and eat it by licking. Eat for a few months.
- Soak 6 almonds, 3 green cardamoms, and 2 dates overnight preferably in an earthen vessel. Next morning, de-skin the almonds and remove the seeds from the dates. Make a paste of this mixture. Add 70 gms candy sugar and 50 gms butter and mix well. Lick this mixture.
- In 3 days the urine color returns to normal.
Facial Blemishes and Spots on the Skin
- Soak 5 almonds in water at night. In the morning remove their skins. grind and put in a bottle. Add 60 ml rose water and 15 drops of sandalwood oil. Mix well by shaking the bottle.
- Apply this 3 times a day on the face or body to clear any skin blemishes or spots. On deeper colored spots or areas , apply a thicker layer and leave it for a longer time.
Health Benefits of Almonds
A Brain Food
Almonds are considered a brain food as they have many nutrients that help in the development of the brain, especially in young children. They also help in increasing the memory and thus are of prime importance to students.
High Cholesterol Levels
- The oleic and palmitoleic acids in almonds increase the HDL cholesterol and reduce the LDL cholesterol.
Benefits the Heart
- The magnesium, potassium, Vit E and monounsaturated fat content is good for preventing many heart diseases. They also reduce the levels of artery-damaging homocysteine.
Good for Skin
- Newborn and infants are advised almond oil massage.
Maintains Blood Pressure
The low sodium and high potassium content helps in maintaining normal blood pressure levels.
Boon for Pregnant Women
- The folic acid content reduces the chances of birth defects in newborns.
Aids in Reducing Weight
- The monounsaturated fats are quite filling and keep the hunger pangs at bay thus reducing the chances for overeating. Hence almonds are good for those who wish to control their weight. A low-calorie diet taken along with helps much.
- Consumption of almonds helps to reduce the spike in sugar levels usually encountered after meals. Almonds help by lowering the GI index of the meal, hence, it is better to consume almonds in some form or the other with meals.
Boosting Energy Levels
- Due to their riboflavin, manganese and copper content, almonds raise energy levels.
Benefits of High Vitamin E Levels
- Damage to skin and mucous membranes by free radicals is prevented by the high content of this vitamin which scavenges them.
- The low levels of saturated fats, high levels of vitamin E and the wide variety of phytochemicals help in reducing the risk of cancer.
Prevention of Gall Bladder Stones
- Studies have shown that consumption of 1 ounce of almond or 2 tbsps of almond butter every day reduced the risk of developing these stones.
People with lactose intolerance can safely consume almond milk. Though it is a good substitute for cow's milk most commercially made almond milk contains a very low percentage of almonds. Hence it is better to make it at home. The recipe for making it is given alongside.
There are several benefits of almond milk over dairy milk.
- It is lactose and gluten free.
- It is extremely low in cholesterol as compared to cow's milk and higher in protein.
- A cup provides only 60 calories. No saturated or trans fats. 40% of the calories come from monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
- One cup provides just 8 gms of carbohydrates of which 7 gms are from low glycemic sugar.
- Very low in sodium just 5 mg per cup and high in potassium - 150 mg per cup.
- Rich in calcium and vitamin D. One cup provides 30% of daily requirement of calcium and 25% of the Vitamin D requirement. These make for healthy bones.
- One glass provides 50% of the daily Vitamin E needed. This renders good antioxidant protection and skin health.
Almond Milk Recipe
- 125 gms Almonds, soaked overnight.
- 3 cups (700 ml ) cold water.
- Flavor of your preference - optional.
- Sweetener - optional.
- Remove the skins from the almonds.
- In a high speed blender, add the almonds and 3 cups of water. Blend for 60 - 90 seconds going from low to high speed.
You might want to add a little water first and puree the almonds before adding the entire water.
- If you prefer add sweetener and preferred flavor and blend in for a few seconds.
- Refrigerate the prepared almond milk if not used immediately. It will stay good for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Unstrained milk has a thicker consistency. If you want a thinner milk, you can strain it before refrigerating.
Candied Almonds - Recipe
Cinnamon Roasted Almonds Recipe
Italian Recipe - Almond Brittle
© 2012 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Singhara, water caltrop, or Indian water chestnut is a popular snack, and its flour is used by Hindus in fasts kept during festivals like Navratri. Learn about its many health benefits.
There are different types of salts available in the market. Read about 2 of these types of salt that are healthy for us-sendha namak or rock salt and kala namak or black salt and their health benefits...
Chia seeds, the wonder food, also called the "Running Food" was much used by the ancient Aztec and Mayan people not only as a food but for its amazing benefits.