20 Reasons to Drink Lemon Water with Himalayan Sea Salt
Lemon Water & Himalayan Sea Salt Help With
- Digestion and Elimination
- Muscle Cramps and Migraines
- Adrenals and Thyroid
- Body's pH Balance
- Bones and Teeth
- Heart and Cardiovascular System
- Weight Loss
- Dissolving Uric Acid (kidney stones, arthritis)
- Destroying Bacteria
- Sexual Health
- Blood Sugar Levels
- Detoxifying the Liver and Cells
Do you wake up in the morning feeling exhausted due to lack of quality sleep? Are you unable to begin your day without first drinking coffee? Do you fatigue again by mid afternoon? Do you experience headaches or other aches and pains? If exhaustion and lack of energy plague you, warm lemon water with Himalayan sea salt may be a better way to start your day. Not only does it boost energy in a natural, effective way, but it also provides a myriad of health benefits.
What Is Himalayan Sea Salt?
Himalayan sea salt is mined by hand directly from ancient sea salt deposits. It has not been processed, refined, or stripped of its nutrient value like table salt. Table salt is devoid of minerals, and unfortunately, probably also has anti-clumping additives like ferrocyanide, talc, and silica aluminate along with the sodium chloride and iodine one would expect to get.
In order for our bodies to function in the best and most efficient way, our health depends on having adequate micro nutrient and mineral stores.
“You can trace every sickness, every disease, and every ailment to a mineral deficiency.”— Dr. Linus Pauling, two-time Nobel Prize winner
Benefits of Himalayan Sea Salt
- Digestion and Elimination: Sea salt helps to stimulate enzymes that aid in digestion. It encourages the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach to help break down and digest food. The salt also promotes food and water absorption in the body, allowing nutrients to move through and be assimilated into the body.
- Hydration: Adding sea salt to water hydrates the body without over-diluting it. Contrary to what one may think, it IS possible consume too much water and to put the body in a state of hyponatremia (low sodium). Of course, this severe dilution typically happens when people are taking diuretics or have participated in long, vigorous sporting events, essentially sweating too much. However, drinking plain water may not nourish the cells as well as expected. Consuming water with natural salt allows the body to absorb and use the water you are taking in.
- Muscle Cramps and Migraine Relief: Electrolyte imbalances and dehydration are often at the root cause of both muscle pain and headaches. Sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium work synergistically in muscle contraction and relaxation. Magnesium is also anti-inflammatory which helps to relieve headaches.
- Adrenal and Thyroid Support: Sea salt reduces demand on the adrenals first thing in the morning. When we wake up, our body naturally wants to raise our blood pressure. Drinking salt water in the morning overrides this system by slightly raising blood pressure for a short period of time. This means the adrenals will have to do less of the work in raising blood pressure, thus saving their output for the rest of the day. Poorly performing adrenals can also contribute to thyroid dysfunction. Sea salt can also nourish the thyroid by supplying it with iodine and selenium, minerals known to help thyroid function.
- Energy: Having adequate mineral stores provides the body with the energy it needs to begin the day. When the body has the micro-nutrients it requires, it has a more solid baseline from which to function and doesn't require the drug-induced stimulation of caffeine. Also, if drinking lemon water with sea salt can replace the morning cup of coffee, a natural, calming energy takes over.
- Sleep: By providing calming minerals like magnesium and calcium, sea salt can improve sleep. Sea salt is also known to reduce cortisol and adrenaline, two stress hormones. Also, if one consumes lemon water with sea salt instead of coffee, there is no chance of chemical stimulation from caffeine.
- Alkalizes the Body's pH: The Western diet is filled with processed, refined foods. This creates an overly acidic pH to our body and bloodstream. By providing the body with so many necessary trace minerals, the body becomes more alkalized. An alkalized pH creates less inflammation and disease.
- Bone and Teeth Health:The trace minerals in sea salt can actually help to "remineralize" teeth, thus preventing or even reversing cavities and dental decay. Osteoporosis and other bone disorders are thought to leach calcium and other minerals from the bones for survival and to neutralize acidity in the blood. Sea salt is naturally full of minerals and alkalizing, so there is speculation that it is helpful with bone health as well.
- Skin Health: Minerals have a profound effect on the skin. Chromium can help prevent or reverse acne. Sulfur helps to keep skin smooth, reducing the incidence of eczema, rashes or scaly skin. Zinc heals wounds and regulates oil production. Iodine increases oxygen consumption in the skin. Drinking water with sea salt also helps to hydrate the skin from the inside out. It's even thought to help diminish cellulite.
- Cardiovascular Health: We've already mentioned that sea salt helps the adrenals by gently boosting blood pressure in the morning. It is very important to note that sea salt does NOT contribute to high blood pressure in the same way that regular, refined table salt does. Because the sodium chloride in sea salt is accompanied by myriads of other necessary minerals, it is balanced out and does not cause edema in the body. In fact, the overall effect of sea salt laced water is to "reduce" blood pressure. It actually promotes healthier, stronger veins. It also has the effect of normalizing an irregular heartbeat. Low potassium and magnesium are known to create arrhythmias.
- Weight Loss: By improving digestion and nourishing the body on a cellular level, sea salt can help with weight loss. It's also thought to reduce cravings for sweet or sugary foods. If you google "How does sea salt help you lose weight?", you'll find a ton of sites about sea salt flushes. A "flush" is not the same as drinking the sea salt water for pure nourishment, however, sea salted water can trigger bowel movements and help to clear the digestive tract. This can aid in weight loss.
- Dissolves Uric Acid: Uric acid build up in the body can stimulate gout, kidney stones, gall stones, and some forms of arthritis. Sea salt works to help dissolve and eliminate sediments in the body before they become major nuisances.
- Allergies: Sea salt water is a natural antihistamine. It can help you breathe better when your nasal passages are swollen from allergies. It also works as a decongestant as it hydrates the body and allows passage of fluid from swollen tissues.
- Destroys Bacteria: Sea salt added to filtered water is antibacterial and never spoils. When consumed, it can help eliminate bad bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Have you ever swished or gargled with salt water to soothe a sore throat? Drinking water with Himalayan sea salt works in a similar fashion. It can help pull toxins from cells to be eliminated from the body.
- Sexual Health: Sea salt water is noted to be a libido booster by restoring hormonal balances. Real salt is also supportive of natural fertility and can improve reproductive health in both men and women.
Benefits of Lemons
Lemons provide some of the same health benefits of Himalayan sea salt. They, too, help with digestion and elimination, hydration, energy, clear skin, balancing the body's pH, weight loss, and they're also antibacterial.
Additionally, lemons supply some unique qualities, that when combined with Himalayan sea salt, create a health food power punch.
- Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory: Lemons are rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a known powerful antioxidant. It helps the body deal with stress. It has been shown to help with arthritis and can be helpful for preventing the development and progression of atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease.
- Immunity: Again, thanks to our friend Vitamin C, illnesses can be curbed or prevented. Phagocytes and t-cells rely on Vitamin C to perform their tasks of protecting the body by attacking and destroying bacteria and viruses. The vitamin C in lemon water can also help the body more efficiently absorb specific nutrients, making them more bioavailable. So, combining the lemon water with sea salt helps the body take in all of the health sustaining minerals it needs.
- Stabilizing Blood Sugar: The fiber and acidity in lemons help to slow digestion and a subsequent rise in blood sugar. Research has shown that lemon juice lowers the glycemic index of any food it is added to. Although one might think of lemons as acidic, they have a strong alkalizing effect on the body.
- Liver and Cell Detox: Vitamin C helps to increase glutathione, the "Mother of All Antioxidants." Glutathione helps the liver detoxify fat before bile is emitted, which takes stress off of the gallbladder. It also helps detox from environmental toxins and metabolic waste. Vitamin C can also help pull toxins from cells and the liver because antioxidants help cells neutralize free radicals that cause cellular damage.
- Heartburn Relief: Lemons are alkaline-forming, although they taste sour. In this way, lemons also help neutralize acidity in the stomach. They also contains potassium which is a neutralizer. It is said that drinking one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with water about 10 minutes before a meal can help prevent acid reflux.
Ever Heard of "Sole" Water?
So what is the best way to get the benefits of Himalayan sea salt and lemon into your diet? Enter "Sole" water. Sole water (pronounced "so-lay") is an electrolyte-dense brine. It is made by adding Himalayan sea salt crystals to purified, filtered water and saturating that water with sea salt until crystals no longer dissolve but remain intact at the bottom of a glass jar. This process may take several days to a week for the crystals to no longer dissolve, adding a little each day. Once your Sole is ready, you can add a teaspoon of Sole to a mug of warm water. Then squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.
Himalayan Sea Salt Crystals
I like this sea salt because it comes in crystal form, but you can also use the attached grinder to create a fine grain.
- 1 Glass Mason Jar, (with plastic lid)
- 1-2 cups Himalayan Sea Salt Crystals
- Filtered Water
- Fill the jar 1/4 full with Himalayan sea salt crystals.
- Pour filtered water into the jar, leaving about 1-2 inches at the top.
- Cover the solution in the jar with a plastic lid.
- Shake and let it sit overnight or up to 24 hours. No need to refrigerate...ever (since Sole is a natural fungicide and anti-bacterial).
- After the elapsed time, check to see if all of the salt crystals are dissolved. If all have dissolved, add more sea salt.
- When the salt no longer dissolves, the Sole water is ready to drink.
- To drink, pour warm filtered water into a mug. Add 1 teaspoon of the Sole water to the filtered water.
- Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.
- Drink it in the AM: Lemon water with Himalayan sea salt is best consumed first thing in the morning. It can help provide a natural boost of energy. Try replacing your morning cup of coffee with a mug of Sole and lemon water instead. It's also best on an empty stomach. It can stimulate digestion and also elimination to truly get your day "moving."
- Avoid coffee: Coffee should NOT follow Sole and lemon water because coffee acidifies the body and digestive tract. This would negate the alkalizing effects of the water. So, if you must consume coffee in the morning, have it prior to your lemon water with sea salt.
- No metal: The mason jar of Sole water should have a plastic cap. (They sell these separately in boxes of 8 for an inexpensive price. See below.) Metal de-ionizes the salt. And if metal is in prolonged contact with the salt, it can release other metals and chemicals into the salt water as the metal lid (or metal spoon) starts to corrode. Even if they are stainless steel or other non-corrosive metals that won’t rust in theory, they can still react to the salt water.
- No table salt: This recipe is to be used with Himalayan sea salt or celtic sea salt, NOT table salt. As mentioned, table salt is highly processed and devoid of the nourishing 84 trace minerals that sea salt contains.
- Add ons: Lemon really makes the Sole water palatable. However, you could also add in some honey or ginger for additional flavor. Just know that honey will have an effect on fasting blood sugar. Additionally, some people claim that adding apple cider vinegar (ACV) gives an added zing and is also packed with additional health benefits. You would definitely want to incorporate some honey if you do add ACV.
- Easy Shortcut Method: If you don't have time to make the Sole water brine, alternatively you could add a pinch of granulated Himalayan sea salt (not the crystals) to a cup of lemon water and stir. Although the brine is deeply nourishing because it has been saturated over time, a tiny pinch of sea salt would also instill some of the same benefits. (Warning: Do NOT add a teaspoon of the granulated salt. A teaspoon of Sole water contains 400 mg of sodium. A teaspoon of sea salt itself contains 2,300 mg of sodium!)
Plastic Caps for Mason Jars
These are the plastic caps I put on Mason jars when making Sole water.