Coffee Protein Shake Recipe with Calorie and Nutrition Facts
Is it possible to elevate a simple cup of coffee into a nutritious breakfast in a glass? Yes, absolutely. Some say drinking coffee doesn't do much good to our bodies, while many others believe this aromatic beverage does have certain health benefits to offer.
As a coffee lover, I hope the latter theory some day will prove correct. Looking at the drink in terms of nutrition, however, I have to side with those coffee opponents; it doesn't seem to provide many nutrients. A tall Iced Caffe Latte from Starbucks, for example, contains mostly carbs and sugar, 4.5 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein, and no dietary fiber at all.
For those of you who enjoy coffee in the morning and don't have much time for a proper breakfast, why not turn your coffee into a protein shake that will give you a boost of energy and the necessary nutrients all in one glass? If you worry about the caffeine, go with decaf. If you're looking for ways to customize your protein shake to suit your liking and health condition, I have some extra tips for you as well.
Please Rate this Protein Shake Recipe
Coffee Protein Shake - Ingredients (for one serving)
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee, chilled
- 1 scoop whey protein powder, vanilla flavor
- 2 tbsps whole-grain oats
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk, chilled
- 1 large banana, cut into chunks
- 1 - 2 tbsps chocolate syrup
How to Make a Coffee Protein Shake
- Process oats in a spice mill until evenly ground.
- Put ground oats and all the other ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Enjoy your coffee protein shake!
Coffee Protein Shake - Calorie and Nutrition Info
|Serving size: 1 glass|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 75 g||25%|
|Sugar 49 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 39 g||78%|
|Cholesterol 67 mg||22%|
|Sodium 150 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- One scoop of whey protein powder provides about a whopping 34 grams of protein. Fast-absorbing and appetite-curbing, it is one of the most effective protein supplements for athletes and those in a weight-loss program.
- Whole-grain oats are a marvelous source of dietary fiber, which can regulate blood sugar as well as lower cholesterol.
- The banana offers dietary fiber and various vitamins. Plus, it contains an impressive amount of potassium, which helps lower blood pressure and promote calcium absorption. In other words, it is very beneficial for both your heart and bone health.
- This coffee protein shake contains only 27 calories from fat, appropriate for anyone who'd like to curb their fat consumption.
- It tastes and smells amazing!
- It's a little high in sugar. If you're diabetic or trying to lower your sugar consumption, you may need to make some ingredient adjustments.
- This coffee drink isn't vegan-friendly. You can easily transform it into a vegan protein shake by substituting a few ingredients, though.
- Since it's very high in protein, this coffee shake isn't recommended for people with kidney disease.
- If you're diabetic, two tablespoons of sugar-loaded chocolate syrup might be too much. Limit yourself to only 1/2 tablespoon or better yet, omit it completely. A sugar-free syrup can also be a smart substitution.
- For vegan dieters, replace whey protein, cow's milk and chocolate syrup with dairy-free products. Soy protein powder is a nice alternative to whey protein.
- Gluten-free dieters should be careful with oats. Although oats are naturally gluten-free, they are often contaminated by gluten products during the manufacturing process. To be safe, only buy oats that carry a gluten-free label.
- In case you don't like bananas, you can opt for yogurt or silken tofu while maintaining the same thick consistency.
- Some other optional ingredients you might be interested: almond extract, butterscotch extract, vanilla extract, chopped chocolate chips, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, peanut butter.
© 2013 Om Paramapoonya