How Many Carbs in Beer, Wine, Coolers, Cocktails, Liquors, and Liqueurs?
They don't call it a beer belly for no reason, and when you take a look at the carb contents of some of your favorite brews you may think twice about grabbing that 6 pack at the supermarket.
We all know that drinking alcohol will pack on the pounds, and do so through the consumption of some pretty empty calories – but for those who partake in a few cold ones but aren’t quite ready to give up on that six pack of a different kind, here is some information on smart buying that may keep you on the right track.
Carb Contents of Popular Beers (per standard bottle)
- Amstel Light - 95 calories - 5 grams of carbohyrdates
- Bud Light – 110 calories - 6.6 grams of carbs
- Budweiser – 145 calories – 10.6 grams of carbs
- Corona Light – 105 calories - 5.0 grams of carbs
- Corona Extra – 148 calories -14 grams of carbs
- Guinness Draft (bottle) 126 calories – 10.6 grams of carbs
- Heineken – 150 calories – 11 grams of carbs
- Keystone Light – 100 calories - 5.0 grams of carbs
- Michelob Light – 134 calories - 11.7 grams of carbs
- Michelob Ultra – 95 calories - 2.6 grams of carbs
- Miller Lite – 96 calories - 3.2 grams of carbs
- Milwaukee's Best 128 calories – 11.5 grams of carbs
- Rolling Rock Premium – 120 Calories – 10 grams of carbs
- Sam Adams Light – 124 calories - 9.7 grams of carbs
- Schlitz – 146 calories – 12.1 grams of carbs
All distilled liquors are carbohydrate free, but still high in calories.
- 1.5 ounces of gin has 120 calories.
- 1.5 ounces of vodka has about 100 calories.
Liqeurs are quite a different story, and these syrupy elixers can be quite high in calories.
- Crème de Menthe – 1oz – 124 calories – 12 grams of carbs
- Coffee Liquer – 1 oz – 111 calories – 10.5 grams of carbs
Most red wines contain about 5 grams of carbohydrate per 120 ml serving and 120 calories. Most white wines contain less than 1 gram of carbohydrate per same serving size and about 110 calories.
Coolers can pack a wallop, and the sugar laden Mike's Hard Lemonade packs on a massive 32 grams of carbs and 220 calories per bottle. Bartle's and James Classic wine coolers are only slightly better at 29 grams of carbs per bottle.
- 1 Pina Colada (4.5 oz) – 245 calories and 32 grams of carbohydrates
- 1 Tequila Sunrise (200ml) – 232 Calories 24 grams of carbohydrates
Any kind of drinking in excess is going to lead to weight gain, but even moderate drinking can cause an unwanted few pounds. Drinking in moderation and making smart drinking choices can make it easier to stay lean and stay healthy.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.