The Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
What Is It?
Do you drink apple cider vinegar? These days we are all very lucky, as we can enjoy all of the amazing advantages of modern medicine and can also freely use natural remedies and complementary medicines to improve our health.
The dark days have gone when the women and men who brewed up natural remedies risked being denounced as witches and we can now find many of the old natural remedies in health food shops and online.
One of these old natural remedies is apple cider vinegar. They have both been used to treat a wide variety of ailments and conditions for thousands of years. The ancient Greek physician Hippocrates advocated the use of a vinegar and honey tonic for increased energy and greater healing. It is produced by fermenting apple juice to create cider, and then fermenting the cider a second time so that apple cider vinegar is produced.
The resulting cider vinegar contains all of the vitamins and nutritional benefits of the fresh apples, and also some important enzymes and acids that are created during the two-stage fermentation process.
Have you tried apple cider vinegar?
It is a marvellous natural remedy and can be used to treat many ailments and improve your health.
- It can be used to detoxify and purify your body organs, as it can break down fatty deposits and pockets of mucous which can help to improve the functioning of your liver, kidneys, and bladder.
- It also can help to lower blood pressure by oxidising the blood and can aid in destroying any dangerous bacteria that enters the body. It is also a great aid to healthy digestion, and also helps with the assimilation and elimination of food and waste products in your body.
- Many of us have digestive tracts and internal organs that are too acidic, due to the amount of sugar, red meat, and processed foods we eat that are such a major part of most Western diets. However, if drunk on a regular basis, it can restore the pH balance of your body back to neutral.
- It also contains ash that gives it the alkaline properties and although you would think that it would be acidic, when we drink it our bodies convert vinegars into alkaline substances, which brings our bodies back into balance.
Apple cider vinegar can help with many ailments and conditions including:
- Lower cholesterol
- Balancing Blood Sugar Levels
- Weight Loss
- Bad breath
- Acid Reflux and Heartburn
Drinking it does not appear to have any side effects, but if you are at all concerned or if you are suffering from a medical condition that you take prescribed medication for, it would be advisable to consult your medical practitioner before you start using it or, indeed, before starting to take any natural remedy.
Organic Cider Vinegar
To obtain the maximum health benefits from drinking this natural remedy, you need to choose organic.
- It should be labelled as such, but you can also tell that it is organic by its appearance. Commercially produced cider vinegars tend to be clear, amber liquids, but organic apple cider vinegar tends to be cloudier and darker with sediment at the bottom of the bottle. This is because it contains a substance called the "mother."
- The presence of mother shows that the most nutritious parts of the apple are still present and have not been destroyed. The mother forms from pectin and apple residues, and contains important enzymes and minerals that may have been lost due to overheating, pasteurisation and filtration in non-organic cider vinegars.
- Also check that it has been cold pressed and made from whole organic apples, rather than having been pasteurised. It also does not contain any nasty chemicals that can damage your body, and as it is a natural product it is biodegradable and causes no damage to the environment.
What Does It Contain?
- Apple cider vinegar contains many different vitamins, minerals and enzymes, such as potassium, sulphur, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, copper, calcium, and silicon.
- It also contains beta-carotene, pectin, malic acid, acetic acid and amino acids.
- It is a natural way to destroy bacteria and can be used as an alternative to antiseptic.
- This wonderful liquid can also be used externally on the skin to soothe insect bites and sunburn.
- Using it on your hair can also help to treat dandruff and makes your hair smooth and shiny.
How to Take It
The taste can put people off, and many cannot drink it in its natural state without something being added. However, there are ways to make drinking it more palatable.
- It is often added to water, so add two teaspoons of cider vinegar, preferably organic, to a glass of water and drink.
- If you wish to sweeten the drink, add honey for some extra health benefits and drink it hot as a comforting drink in winter.
- For maximum benefit, drink this mixture between one and three times a day. It can also be used in cooking, salad dressings, mayonnaise or mixed with vegetables.
- For acid reflux and indigestion, try taking a tablespoon before every meal.
- If you find that you really cannot abide the taste, you could always choose to take one of the many supplements that are available nowadays.
- It is very versatile as it can also be used externally, as it is a very good natural toner for your skin. It is very effective for stimulating the circulation in your capillaries, which will help to bring a healthy glow to your complexion. If you want to make up a soothing toner, just add a few drops of lavender oil into your water and organic apple cider vinegar mixture, put some of it on a cotton wool ball and gently wipe your face with it after you have cleansed.
Apple cider vinegar can be bought in health food shops and online. Amazon has a large range so why not take a look today and make your selection. One of the joys of it as a natural remedy is that it is relatively inexpensive, so you can use it every day without having to worry about how much it costs.
Remember, always look for the organic kind that contains the "mother" when you are shopping, so that you can gain the maximum health benefits available from this amazing natural health remedy.
© 2010 CMHypno