6 Tips to Get Rid of a Caffeine Headache and Avoid Withdrawal Symptoms
Caffeine may be something that we consume on a daily basis but that doesn't diminish the fact that it's a serious drug. People who regularly have caffeine in their diets realize this when they fail to get their daily dose of caffeine and begin to suffer from drug withdrawal symptoms. The most common of these is the "caffeine headache" or "caffeine withdrawal headache". Unfortunately, the most commonly recommended treatment for the caffeine headache is to consume some caffeine. For people who are trying to cut back on caffeine, this isn't a solution. In fact, it's just a way of perpetuating the problem.
6 Tricks to Get Rid of a Caffeine-Withdrawl Headache
- Take a nap. Sometimes it is possible to just sleep through the withdrawal headache. If you're in a position to take a nap during your day, this could be a way to resolve the problem. This is especially true if you are trying to cut caffeine out of your diet since chances are that you're going to be tired anyway.
- Medicine. People who aren't opposed to taking headache medicine will generally find that the typical pain relievers are capable of eliminating the caffeine headache. Tylenol, aspirin, or Ibuprofen may be used to get rid of the headache. People who are trying to ease off of caffeine and not just quit it cold turkey may find that Excedrin, a pain reliever that contains a minimal amount of caffeine, may help best. Of course, if this is an ongoing problem, you'll want to discuss the use of this medicine with your doctor.
- Peppermint. One of the most common natural headache cures is peppermint (usually in the form of peppermint tea). People who suffer from caffeine headaches have reported that they usually go away shortly after using peppermint as a natural remedy.
- Drink lots of water. One of the best natural things that you can do for your body is to drink water. You might be surprised by how much you can cure when you get more than your necessary eight glasses of water per day. Try adding more water to your diet and see if the headaches don't disappear.
- Get a massage. You might find that you just need to get your body into a state of relaxation in order to cause the headache to disappear. Schedule a massage appointment at a local day spa. You might consider discussing what aromatherapy options they have available for headaches.
- The pinch trick. People have reported that you can use an acupressure trick in which you pinch the area between your thumb and forefinger. You're supposed to pinch tightly until it hurts. Others say that this trick doesn't work but when you're desperate to get rid of that headache, it might be worth a try.
Ultimately, the caffeine withdrawal headache will go away on its own. These are just some of the ways that you can convince it to move along faster so that you can move on with your day!
More by this Author
A trampoline is one of the most fun pieces of exercise equipment than you can purchase for use at your home. Families get trampolines because the kids want them but they’re great for weight loss.
Dance classes are a great way to get exercise while also having fun. Men and women can both take dance classes, of course. However, there are some forms of dance that are particularly appealing to women as a way of...
There are some people who go to the gym to work out on cardio machines because they absolutely love the way that the workout makes them feel. That’s not most people. Most people go to the gym to work out on cardio...