2 Types Of Salts - Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) and Kala Namak (Black Salt) and Their Health Benefits
Types of Salt
Salt is indispensable to one's health, but an excess of salt or eating the wrong kind of salt also gives rise to health problems.
There are many types of salts. Some are mined from the salt deposits left by the dried up lakes and some are procured from the sea water. Some common types of salts are:
- Table salt. This is the regular refined salt that has added chemicals that we consume daily in our food.
- Kosher salt. This is a large-grained, irregularly shaped crystal salt mainly used for removing as much blood from meat as possible in order to comply with Jewish dietary laws.
- Sea salt. Sea salt is produced from sea water.
- Pickling salt. Pickling is a very fine salt, with no additives, that's used in brines used to pickle foods.
- Celtic salt. Celtic salt is made by the process of the solar evaporation of water from the Celtic sea.
- Seasoned salt. This refers to a variety of salts wherein herbs are added. For example, garlic salt, onion salt, and so forth.
- Sendha namak (Rock salt). A large crystalline salt that's usually used for making ice cream in ice cream machines. Food grade rock salt is also available to use in regular cooking.
- Kala namak (Black salt). This is a dark, reddish-black colored crystalline salt that turns a pinkish grey color when ground up. It has a distinct sulfurous odor and taste.
According to Ayurveda, Sendha namak or rock salt is the best kind of salt for eating. The next best is Kala namak or black salt.
This article will focus on the last two types of salts — rock salt and black salt.
Sendha Namak (Rock Salt) & Its Health Benefits [In Hindi With English Subtitles]
Rock Salt Of Different ColorsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Sendha Namak (Rock Salt)
Sendha namak is the Indian name for rock salt. It is a large-grained, coarse salt also called halite or land salt that's normally available in large bags in most grocery and health food stores. It dissolves readily in water.
- Sendha namak is mined from underground deposits of dried up lakes. It is unrefined, non iodized and contains no additional anti-caking agents. It is white, pink, or blue in color.
- This salt is lower in sodium than regular table salt and contains 94 trace minerals as opposed to just the three that are in common table salt. Since this salt is pure, it is used in religious fasts in India. It does not contain the toxic wastes that sea salt has from the polluted waters.
- Sendha namak or rock salt is used in Ayurvedic medicines as it treats disorders arising from disturbances in the 3 doshas.
- Rock salt benefits the heart, is good for diabetics, prevents osteoporosis, reduces depression and stress, prevents and treats muscle cramps, numbness and tingling sensations, regulates blood pressure, keeps the blood vessels flexible, maintains the correct acid-alkaline levels, helps in digestion, relieves a number of skin problems, benefits in relieving arthritic problems etc.
- This salt is more cooling than sea salt and can be used in small quantities even when other salts have been prohibited.
- In India, rock salt or sendha namak is used in making chutneys, raita (a variety of yogurts), chaats, snacks, and more.
- It lowers the freezing point of water and when sprinkled on ice is used in ice cream making machines. Rock salt is also applied on roads to prevent ice formation on roads in winter and even on ice to make it soft for easy removal.
- Rock salt is the best salt for consumption and replacing the common salt with sendha namak completely for those suffering with arthritis will offer them a lot of relief.
- Sendha salt (commonly known as rock salt) is more beneficial than other edible salts for patients suffering from chronic kidney disease.
Kala Namak (Black Salt) And Its Health Benefits (In Hindi With English Subtitles)
Kala Namak (Black Salt)Click thumbnail to view full-size
Kala Namak (Black Salt)
Black salt or Kala namak is a dark brown (almost black) colored crystalline salt that changes to a pinkish grey powder once it is ground up. It is also referred to as sanchal.
- It has a sulfurous smell — much like boiled eggs, from the sulphur in it.
- Kala namak is rich in iron and many other trace minerals and is cooling in nature.
- The dark color is due to its iron content. This salt is obtained from the natural salt mines in Northern India and Pakistan.
- Kala namak or black salt is used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine. It is also used as a condiment in Indian cooking. It's added to chaat, chutneys, and sprinkled on fruits and other Indian snacks before eating. It tastes great on cut vegetables, too.
- Black salt is low in sodium. It is also much used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat health issues like indigestion, constipation, bloating, gas, flatulence and heartburn. It is also used to treat goiter and hysteria, poor vision, high blood pressure, anemia, and more. It ensures proper sodium/phosphorus balance.
- Ayurvedic toothpastes also contain Kala namak as one of its ingredients.
The information provided in this article is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime.
Some Of My Other Articles On Healthy Salts
- Uses Of Salt And Rock Salt (Sendha Namak) In Diet
Salt is the oldest known food additive. Apart from its culinary and industrial uses, salt is useful in a variety of health issues. To know more read on.....
- Health Benefits Of Himalayan Salt And Benefits Of Sole
Salt is as essential a component of the human body as water. It is needed for various functions in the body. Himalayan salt is the only salt that provides all the essential minerals that the body needs. find out the health benefits of Himalayan salt
- Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps And Their Health Benefits
Himalayan crystal salt lamps are made from the salt blocks mined from the ancient dried up lakes at the himalayan foothills. They exhibit numerous health giving properties. To know how you can benefit from their use, read on...
Rajiv Dixit: What Kind of Salt You Must Eat
© 2013 Rajan Singh Jolly
More by this Author
Apples are a crunchy and tasty fruit. Moreover they are beneficial in many lifestyle and other diseases. To know more about the amazing Apple and Apple juice facts and health benefits, read on.
Milk is a universally available natural food. It contains all nutrients necessary for our growth. Read on to find the health benefits of drinking this white nectar...
Singhara, water caltrop, or Indian water chestnut is a popular snack, and its flour is used by Hindus in fasts kept during festivals like Navratri. Learn about its many health benefits.