Tips Before You Start Jumping Rope
This simple exercise is more valuable than you may imagine. Jump rope exercise offers a great cardiovascular workout. It can help you to lose weight and will make you feel energetic all day long. So many athletes use this workout to clear their mind and gain more control and stamina. Before you jump in, follow these 10 simple rules:
1. A piece of clothesline is all you need to get started. Or you can buy a specially made jump rope that has weighted handles and comfortable grips.
2. To measure the right length, stand with the jump rope running under both feet. The rope should be long enough to reach the level of your armpits on both sides.
3.Jumping rope puts stress on your feet, knees, and thighs. Aerobic dance shoes will provide stability and cushioning, as will good tennis shoes. Never jump rope on concrete floors. Always jump on a carpet or mat.
4. Jumping rope can be rigorous, especially if you are a beginner. You may jump too high or overemphasize the arm movements. Instead, jump slowly first. Wait until your breathing is comfortable and your rhythm is smooth before you pick up the pace.
5. When you begin, aim for 30 to 50 turns per minute.
6. Most people who jump rope find it tiring, so they jump intervals or in sets. Jump for two minutes, then rest for 30 seconds. Continuing this for 15 to 30 minutes, according to your stamina, will provide an excellent aerobic workout.
7. If you are jumping rope indoors, you will quickly find that a high ceiling room is essential. Also, be sure that the room has good ventilation.
8. Try skipping one foot at a time or even using fancy arm work if you get bored with ordinary jumping.
9.Whenjumping rope you do not have to jump high to get a good work out. In fact, jumping only an inch or two off the ground will reduce risk of injury.
10. Do not over do it.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Urmila (author) from Rancho Cucamonga,CA, USA on August 10, 2012:
Hi Shruti, thanks for your kind comments and feedback. Take care!
shruti sheshadri from Bangalore, India on August 10, 2012:
Very useful hub urmila! :) I never knew a jumping rope had so much use. Learnt a lot and voted up! :)
Take care :)
Urmila (author) from Rancho Cucamonga,CA, USA on March 15, 2012:
Hi teaches12345, thanks for stopping by and nice comments.
Dianna Mendez on March 15, 2012:
Jump roping used to be my favorite outdoor sport as a child. We could do almost any trick mentioned. Now, I would love to start it all over again. It is a great way to strengthen the heart. Wonderful hub topic.
Debbie Roberts from Greece on March 06, 2012:
Skipping or jumping rope, is an excellent cardio workout and skipping on a mini trampoline will reduce stress on the joints too.
A useful hub that may bring back the child in a few.
Urmila (author) from Rancho Cucamonga,CA, USA on March 02, 2012:
Oh, thank you so much for stopping by and your great comments. Have a great day!
Caleb DRC on March 02, 2012:
Hi U23, You have some really good advice here, especially the part to not jump on concrete. Keep encouraging your daughter to continue with her math studies. She will never regret it, and it will structure her career.
God said, "I Am the Lord that heals you"( Exodus 15:26). I've prayed that the conditions are met that he does so for you.
Urmila (author) from Rancho Cucamonga,CA, USA on February 09, 2012:
Thank you so much for your comment. Take care!
Aurelio Locsin from Orange County, CA on February 09, 2012:
I'm going to try these out since jumping rope is on my exercise regimen. Voting this Up and Useful.