Build a Bigger Booty: Workouts for a Kim Kardashian Butt
Ok, so we can't all have a booty like the fabulous Kim Kardashian, but we can dream and work hard to get close. There are plenty of exercise guides and workout plans circulating around the internet, but this is not just squats, and not just lunges. We need to work those glutes from every angle to get maximum lift, aka the "shelf booty".
There is no quick fix and this is no promise that you will have a fitness model's butt within a week or two. The goal here is to introduce some new moves, and motivate people to do them frequently. Do them for a week, do them for a month, or do them every day until you are completely satisfied.
Know Your Butt Muscles
The butt is more complex than one might think. There are three main muscles in the butt, and each of them has a different function in shaping your butt. Therefore, each muscle requires different kinds of training to get it in proper and healthy shape.
Medius- The medius is located on the outside of the pelvis. This muscles is partially covered by the gluteus maximus and it's main function is to naturally pull the thigh away from the center of the body, to ensure smooth walking.
Maximus- This is the strongest muscle in the human body. The maximus aids in everyday activities, including walking, climbing stairs, standing up, and sitting down. This muscles gives the hips their shape.
Minimus- This muscle is located deep in the butt and is the smallest of the three gluteus muscles. It's main function is the primary rotator of the hip joint. It's also one of the muscles that keeps your pelvis stable while one leg is lifted off the ground.
Together these three muscles form the gluteus muscles of the beloved butt. They come in all shapes and sizes, they affect the style of jeans we buy, the underwear we buy, and the dance moves we perform. The butt is a wonderful, powerful body part that is just waiting to be pushed to it's limits.
I am not a physician or a dietician. You should always consult your doctor before starting a workout program or diet. I am not liable for any injury sustained from exercise.
First Things First
If you are overweight and have excess tissue on your rear, it will be necessary to shed some weight before you will see the definition of your booty. But, don't fear, many of the exercises here will help you achieve that goal as well. You can do one exercise and work for both goals, and it's a win win.
However, if you want to expedite the process, I suggest doing some cardio. The majority of cardio based workouts involve using your glutes anyway, so you won't be losing any time. Consider the following cardio exercises:
- Jumping jacks
- Jumping rope (real or fake)
- Fitness walking
- Elliptical training
- Stair climbers
This is just a basic list, you can change them up a little if you don't go the gym and want to do them from home. For instance, grab a chair or a stepping stool and do step-up workouts. Add in a little butt action with backward leg extensions. Try to go as fast as you can without injuring yourself. Keep your core tight to keep your balance.
Can't go for a long run? Run in place, do high knees, or butt kickers. You may not get the great scenery from your living room, but you can try to mix it up to keep things interesting. Do high knees through the first commercial of your favorite TV show, and then on the next commercial do jumping jacks or jump rope. Keep things interesting and keep your body moving, even if you tired, try to at least march in place.
To lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in. You can calculate how many calories you should consume through a number of websites and apps. Check out MyFitnessPal or LoseIt if you want to track your calories. Also, be sure to eat enough protein to fuel those building muscles. Great sources of protein are lean meats like chicken, turkey, and fish, as well as nuts, beans, and eggs. Egg whites are low in calories and high in protein to keep you full and to help build and repair your muscles.
Now, we can move on to the main, booty workout.
What's Your Favorite Butt Exercise?
Complete Butt Workout
Each small set of exercises will work different muscles within the butt. You should feel it in these different areas.
To train the gluteus medius do three sets of ten reps of each:
- Side lying hip abductions (Each side) - Lie on your side with one arm supporting your head and the other pressed to the ground in front of your stomach. Raise your top leg up as high as you can and hold for 1 second. Release and repeat.
- One leg squats (Each leg)- Stand one leg with hands resting on hips. Engage the core and squat down with the other foot resting beside or behind your standing leg calf.
To train the gluteus maximus do three sets of ten reps each:
- Donkey Kicks (Each leg)- Get on your hands and knees. Engage your core. Lift one leg off the ground, keeping your knee bent at a 90 degree angle. Lift your leg until your toes are pointing at the ceiling.
- Lunges (Each leg)- Keeping your core engages, step forward with one foot. Drop your back knee towards the floor, keeping your front knee behind your toes. Release and push off your forward foot to return to standing position.
- Step-ups (Each leg)- Grab a chair that is about 15 inches tall. Take one foot and place it on the chair. Put all of your weight on that leg and push yourself up into standing position on the chair, using only the strength from the one leg.
To train the gluteus minimus do three sets of ten reps each:
- Squats- Stand shoulder width apart. Drop your body towards the floor, bending your knees and keeping your weight on your heels. Avoid bringing your knees over your toes or hunching your back.
- Side plank (Each side, 30 seconds)- Lie on your side, stacking your legs on top of one another. Place your forearm on the ground, below your shoulder to stabilize yourself. Contract your core and pull your knees and hips off the ground. Keep your body straight, breath, and hold the pose.
Again, you don't have to do these all at once, or for the exact number of reps. Just try to do each of the moves regularly and frequently and work up to a higher number of reps. For more intensity, add weights to squats, step-ups, lunges, and one leg squats. Any extra resistance you put on your muscles will only help them grow bigger and stronger.
Printable Table of Butt Exercsies
Side lying hip aductions
One leg squats
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.