Best Dumbbell Exercises for Abs
The Truth About Six Pack Abs
Before we head into the best dumbbell exercises for abs, let's talk for just a few minutes. Billboard ads reveal sexy men with tight abdominals. If only you could wear their underwear and get the same results! Exercise video programs are advertised on television showing women with tiny waists. If only you could dance for 15 minutes per day and get abs like that! Magazines even tell you to pop this 'magic' pill for best results. Unfortunately, the truth about six pack abs has been misconstrued throughout media.
Maybe you've even given up on your dream of having a tight midsection, but might you be caught in a white lie if you said you never thought of having sexy six pack abs? Well, be encouraged! You no longer have to give up your dream. Sure, there are no magic underwear, video programs, or pills to get you the abs of your dreams. Only hard work and dedication will reward you, but it is well worth it and you'll appreciate it in the long run.
First and foremost, spot reduction cannot be done with abdominal muscles as some may think. Most everyone already has a nice six pack abdominal wall. However, many just can't see it because their walls are usually covered with a thick layer of body fat. So, what can you do?
4 Tips for Six Pack Abs
- Lower your overall body fat level.
- Exercise abs effectively.
- Do intense interval cardio.
- Eat smaller meals more often.
Well, you've stopped here for a reason. You obviously want to learn the best dumbbell exercises for abs. Along with those exercises, following are few other things you can do:
- Lower your overall body fat level. It is necessary to reduce your body fat in order to see your abs. Men need to reduce body fat to 8 to 10 percent, and women need to reduce to 12 to 14 percent.
- Exercise abs effectively. Your abdominal muscles are slightly different from other muscles in your body (i.e., pectorals, biceps, triceps, etc.). Your abs are firing all day because you are constantly moving with bending, picking up things, standing, and twisting. To make exercises effective for your abs, you will need a slightly different exercise approach than when you are lifting weights with other muscles of the body. You should use slow range of motion with a tempo of three seconds to contract and three seconds to release. Though the abdominal wall reaches from your pubic area to your sternum, you want to focus on tension or contraction for four different areas: lower, upper, obliques (side walls), and transverse (internal corset). Work your abs every other day. Allow them to rest in between workouts is appropriate.
- Do intense interval cardio. Challenging cardio workouts burn body fat, and you can do this through sprints or HIIT (high intensity interval training) with the treadmill, elliptical, or bike. By performing cardio first thing upon awakening before breakfast, you will tap into stored body fat for release. This is because you have just fasted from starchy carbohydrates for several hours during your sleep.
- Eat smaller meals more often. Trade up any pre-packaged, processed, or refined foods for natural whole foods. Make sure your meals are balanced with lean proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. Cycle your starchy carbs; eat them only two to three days per week and preferably on your strenuous workout days.
If you heed to the four tips above, you will find your abs in no time.
DARE TO TELL!
Have you ever wished to have six pack abs?See results without voting
Reasons for a Strong Midsection
Though your desire for a strong and sexy midsection could be right before you, there are some very good reasons for including exercises for your abdominals every other day:
- To look and feel good. Though looking good is what most of us want for ourselves, feeling good from the inside out will help you have more confidence. With more confidence, you can conquer the daily tasks in your life as well as your dreams.
- To stabilize your core. By exercising all of the abdominal muscles, you will strengthen your back thereby making it more stable and reducing any pain.
- To perform continually throughout life. Aging gracefully is a great by-product of abdominal workouts. Your functional and usable midsection will help you to continue performing throughout life without added assistance.
Six Pack Abs Exercises
Below are a few exercises to help you achieve your six pack abs. Darin Steen is the coach in these videos, and he has partnered with Dr. Mercola. Darin was an NFL football player for the Chicago Bears in the mid to late 1980s. He then became a competitive bodybuilder while working in the real world. After two decades, he became a full-time coach and has become one of the most successful in the world. He has partnered with Dr. Mercola, the famous osteopathic practitioner and bestselling author of several books on health.
If you're not familiar with the exercises below, it is suggested you start off slowly. Start with one to two sets of each exercise and build up to three to four sets. Use light dumbbells to begin and gradually increase.
Crunch Dumbbell Press
Decline Bench Crunch and Curl
Ab Dumbbell Twist on Bench
Whatever you do, be balanced in your approach to exercise. Your upper body (i.e., chest, back, shoulders, biceps, and triceps), as well as your lower body (legs, glutes, and calves) are all important to be trained for a body that is perfectly proportioned. Additionally, they all work together for balance and functionality.
If you're ever in 'real' physical pain when exercising, please stop and consult your physician.
More by this Author
Have you ever wondered if you should exercise during a fast? Learn the types of fast you can do with exercise as well as how much exercise is appropriate.
Cardio exercise can be fun, especially for beginners. There are so many different ways to exercise your heart, but essential tips will help you get started. Know what to do and expect before starting.
Looking for a quick weight loss program, how to lose baby fat, or how to lose abdominal fat? Learn how to flatten your stomach with the best stomach exercises. Get ripped with transverse ab workouts.