Arm Exercises for Women: How to Lose Arm Fat With Home Exercises
Get those toned arms you’ve always wanted without those pricy gym memberships. In the comfort of your own home, you can lose arm fat by performing these home exercises with no gym equipment. These arm toning exercises are intended to help women take a flabby arm to fabulous with no gym or trainer.
How to Lose Arm Fat
No one wants arm fat, but how do you tone your arms without weights or a gym? When you hear the word “arm fat” most people think of upper arms, specifically the back of your arms. These are called your triceps and they are fat guzzlers. I hate this area and it can feel like a constant battle, but it doesn’t have to be.
Losing arm fat and toning your arms can be easy as long as your home has a table, a chair, an ottoman or a kitchen counter. Does your home have any of these items? I bet it does and if it does, I encourage you to try these arm exercises for women to help get rid of arm fat. As you read through these arm toning exercises, you'll notice my attire in the photos: sweatshirt, jeans and slippers. You don't need workout clothes to do these and you can do them in any attire, so you might as well be comfy.
Lose Arm Fat Exercise #1
1. Select an item to use as a weight. If you have dumbbells great, but if you don’t, check your fridge. Do you have a jug of milk? How about a carton of orange juice or a 2 liter of soda? What I’m looking for here is anything with a little bit of weight, aiming for about 2 to 3 lbs. You can use any item in your house, but I would avoid using items easily breakable, valuable or overly clunky in case you drop it by accident.
2. After selecting your item, lift it over your head with both hands, holding it straight in the air with your arms by your ears. Your hands should be faced inward as if you’re clapping. Keep your upper arms as close to your ears as possible (they don’t need to be touching your head but they shouldn’t be more than an inch away). This is your starting position.
3. Lower the item behind your back as far as you can reach. Your hands will likely fall somewhere close to your neck or higher. Hold the item for a moment in place and lift it back to the starting position (straight in the air above your head). This is the completion of one repetition (rep). Keep in mind this isn’t a race or speed exercise, so take your time when moving your arms up and down. The slower you go, the more toned you’ll get.
4. When doing this exercise, be sure to keep your upper arms as close as possible to your head/ears. If you look in the mirror and see a large gap between your head and arms, you aren’t doing this exercise properly.
5. To intensify this arm toning exercise, use more weight and do more sets (a set is grouping of reps).
6. As a goal, you should aim to do this exercise for 3 to 4 sets of 20 repetitions. What this means is you need to lift that jug or item up and down behind your head 60 to 80 times (taking a 1 to 2 minute break after every completed set (20 reps)). This probably sounds like a lot, even exhausting, but this is an easy toning exercise. Do not do fewer reps with more weight! I cannot stress that enough. The goal here is to tone your arms and the easiest way to tone your arms is using light weight for multiple reps. Using more weight and fewer reps is what body builders do, so unless you’re looking to beef up, stick with light weights. Start slowly if you need to—maybe 1 set of or 10 or 20 every other day or every 3 days. Your arms will be sore so plan accordingly. As this gradually becomes easier, increase your number sets until you’ve reached 4 sets total. Once you reach that, increase your weight (since the goal again is tone your arms, not bulk them up, I would not exceed 10 lbs.)
Lose Arm Fat Exercise 2
1. Select a stable large item in your house that is relatively close to the ground (around 1 to 2 feet or so from the ground). This is where your chair or ottoman will come in handy. You can use any stable low household furniture, even a couch, but I find with soft cushions it’s harder to stabilize yourself for this arm toning exercise. When I use my couch, I’ll use just the armrest since that’s harder. If your armrest is higher than 2 feet, don’t worry, you can still do this arm toning exercise. Regardless of what you choose to use, just make sure you have at least three feet of vacant space in front of you.
2. After selecting your furniture item, turn around so you’re facing away from the furniture. Extend both of your arms backwards and carefully lower your hands to the edge of the furniture. If you’re using a chair, make sure your hands are on the base of the chair and not the chair’s back. Your hands should be about a foot apart with your palms on the base with your fingers over the edge. In order to get into this position, you’ll likely find yourself bending over (that’s expected).
3. Carefully walk your legs forward while keeping your hands on the furniture (like a crab walk). Gradually walk about three or four steps. Your upper body should be kept in a straight position with your back in alignment with the furniture. After taking a few steps, bend your knees so your body resembles a chair. If you’re using a taller piece of furniture, you legs will likely only be bent slightly into a slope. This is the starting position.
4. Keeping your legs in place, slowly lower your body with your arms, bending at the elbow. Your whole body should move down. Move down as low as you can comfortably go (trying to reach the floor is not the objective here) and lift yourself back up into the starting position. This is the completion of one rep.
5. To intensify this arm toning exercise or to lose arm fat faster, extend your feet out in a straight line in front of you with your heels on the ground and your toes in the air. Continue to lower your arms up and down. You will notice quickly this modified arm toning exercise is harder. I would not suggest using this arm toning exercise until you feel 100% conformable with step 4.
6. Just like the last arm toning exercise, the goal here is do as many reps and sets as possible with a goal of 3 to 4 sets of 20. If you can’t do this many, don’t worry, set reasonable goals until you can build up your muscle strength. Maybe even reps of 5 or 10 if you need to. The point is, if you keep doing these exercises, you will see results.
Lose Arm Fat Exercise 3
1. For this arm toning exercise, you’ll want to use a table or kitchen counter (something high). I usually use my kitchen counter since that’s as stable as it gets in my house and stability is important for all these arm toning exercises.
2. Face the counter with your arms at your side and your feet touching the base of the counter. Lift your arms from your sides and place your hands on the edge of the counter (your hands should be at least a foot apart if not more).
3. While keeping your hands firmly on the counter, step back until you feel yourself leaning forward on your tiptoes (this is about four steps for me). I generally keep my feet together for this, but if you feel unstable or wobbly, spread your feet until you feel secure. Make sure your back is in a straight line and not hunched over. This is your starting position.
4. Slowly bend your arms at the elbow until you’re almost touching the counter and then push yourself up to the starting position. This is the completion of one rep (this similar to a push-up on the ground, but easier).
5. To intensify this arm toning exercise, use furniture lower to the ground, such as your couch armrest, ottoman or chair base. The lower you are to the ground, the further your feet are away from the object, meaning it’s going to be harder to lift your upper body up and done. I would not suggest intensifying your arm toning exercise until you feel 100% comfortable with step 4.
6. Just like the last arm toning exercise, the goal here is do as many reps and sets as possible with a goal of 3 to 4 sets of 20. If you can’t do this many, don’t worry, set reasonable goals until you can build up your muscle strength.
You can use all three of these arm toning exercises to lose arm fat or just pick the one you like the best. However, in order to lose arm fast faster, I recommend you do all three of these home exercises 2 to 3 times a week on varying days (not back to back). Since these arm toning exercises are aimed at achieving beautifully sculpted arms for women, be sure to increase your number of reps and sets in order to optimize results. When doing these home exercises, please be careful and exercise good judgment to avoid injury. Items like a chair on wheels, a bounce ball, a wine bottle, etc. should not be used.
I hope these home exercises work for all of you and I’d love to hear about your progress along the way. If you found this article helpful, you may also like:
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.