A Quick and Simple Way to Clean Your Yoga Mat
I'm hard on my yoga mats. I use them not only for yoga but for all my fitness workouts, including cardio. I work out barefoot and have hardwood floors, so having the yoga mat helps protect my ankles and joints. In the colder months, I'll even throw my heating pad on top for extra warmth and comfort.
Despite my daily use, I don't clean them as often as I should. My waking hours are planned down to the minute most days of the week, and I don't take the extra time to take care of my mat properly. I complete my workout and either leave my mats laying on the dining room floor, or I roll them up to put them behind the couch.
After a particularly grueling workout session recently, my mats were covered in sweat, and I had no choice but to clean them. Surprisingly, it's a fairly simple and easy process that doesn't take a lot of time or effort.
Some people like to throw their mats into the washing machine. I'm not willing to potentially ruin my mat or my washer by doing that. Many yoga mat companies do not recommend doing that anyway.
Instead, try my simple method below to clean and refresh your mat.
What You Need
- Dish soap (original Dawn works great!)
- Hot water
- Old cloth (I use an old washrag)
- Pour 4 cups of hot water into your bucket.
- Add 4–6 drops of dish soap into the water.
- Mix with your rag.
- Gently wipe down your yoga mat.
- Lay flat or hang over a chair to dry.
Picture GuideClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Don't saturate your mat with water and don't use too much soap. You don't want soap residue left on your mat, especially if you have sensitive skin.
- If you need your yoga mat to dry faster, lay it flat, and set a fan up to blow on it. Within 30 minutes to an hour, your yoga mat should be dry.
- You can put the soapy water solution into a spray bottle to make cleaning easier. Keep your spray bottle on hand to clean your mat more often if you'd like.
- Alternatively, you could use distilled vinegar in place of dish soap. The vinegar smell should dissipate as your mat dries.
© 2019 Alyssa