What 30 Days of Yoga Taught Me
Every January, Adriene Mishler hosts a 30-day yoga challenge on her YouTube channel, Yoga with Adriene. I practice yoga regularly on my own. I like to throw on a music playlist and just move. Occasionally throughout the year I will put on a guided video, and for the past eight months, I have been taking part in yoga challenges on Instagram.
But Adriene's challenge is a way for me to get back to my roots. I've participated in it for the past three years. It allows me to reconnect with my body, slow down, and get back to the foundation of my yoga practice. It's something I always look forward to.
This year's theme was True. It was a 30-day practice designed to allow people to learn to listen and honor their bodies, to build a consistent practice, and as Adriene always says, to find what feels good. I absolutely enjoyed it! Yoga is a big part of my life and this 30-day practice taught me a lot. I thought I would share the lessons I learned in this year's event in the hopes that it would inspire someone else to give yoga a try.
Some of the lessons are brand new, some are from Adriene herself, some are realizations on the mat, and some are reiterations from my years of practice. Yoga has a wonderful way of bringing clarity.
1. The most challenging part is showing up on your mat everyday.
2. You don't need fancy clothes to practice. Pajamas are fine.
3. Everyday is different. Each side of your body is different.
4. Accept how you feel today. Accept how your body feels today. Accept what is.
5. Learn to listen to your body and honor what it needs.
6. Every end is a new beginning.
7. Learn to let go of that which does not serve you.
8. Allow, and be present for yourself.
9. Strength and support come from within.
10. Challenge yourself to change the way you react to difficulties.
11. You always have a choice.
12. People are who they are. You cannot change them. But you can control you.
13. You are in charge. Always.
14. Be kind to yourself. Work with your body.
15. Explore on (and off) the mat. Try moving in a new way.
16. Everything is as it should be.
17. Take what you need. Leave what you don't.
18. Find what feels good.
Check out the challenge for yourself! True - 30-Day Yoga Journey | Yoga with Adriene
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2018 Alyssa